Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Sound!?

Question Strange Sound!?

Hearing a strange sound, sounds a bit like "wup" "wup" "wup" etc for trains that have passed a trackside viewpoint ("4" key) after a bit, and the view had been "locked" using the "8" key.

Sounds a bit like muffled and somewhat distorted "square" wheels (consist wheels with worn flat spots on them)! The sounds are usually not really loud. The consist while passing the view point doesn't sound like it has "square" wheels, the sound seems to occur not too long after trains have passed the (locked) trackside view. The "wup" "wup" sounds continue for a bit and then eventually stops.

Tried different consists, routes, locomotives, and different versions of Open Rails (version 1.3.1, and MG versions 59 and 63), but this sound always appears!?

On very long consists (200+ cars and with locomotives at each end of the consist), there might be brief "wup" "wup" sound lasting for a few seconds maybe at around the middle of the consist.

Anyone else notice this?

Solutions?

No, never.
    and
    None needed here but try a better audio processor.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I remember this from many years ago.
    Go through the global sound folder and find the offending sound using your media player. Once you've located it delete it.
    Than you can find a sound you prefer, while searching the sound folder, and copy and rename it to the offending sound.
    Like I said this way many years ago and I have no idea what the name of that sound was but it sux, and I remember it as more of a metallic whoink-whoink.
    I've downloaded Erick C's navs_env.zip from the FL here but haven't had a chance to try it. That's another option.
    Try it. Let us know how it sounds.

Randy
    Last edited by rdayt; 06-15-2020 at 12:41 PM.

I get a sound that might match that description when the front end of a train moves far enough away from the camera. Most engine sound sets aren't designed to be heard from that range, and tend to act up

Comments noted, thanks.

I am running more test consists. So far, it seems this "wup" "wup" sound doesn't appear when running small/short trains with one or two locomotives and up to around 20+ cars.

On further testing, this "wup" "wup" sound also appears after using the external rear view ("3" key) followed by the "8" key to lock the view. The sound occurs soon after trains have (practically) disappeared from view.

Also, apart from this sound which stops after a while, it also stops when (rear end) locomotive engine sounds become noticeable and when these locomotives approach and pass the view point. This applies to really long consists with locomotives at each end (only), and when the train is roughly halfway past the view point.

I've uninstalled and re-installed audio card drivers, but to no avail. The "wup" "wup" sounds still occur.

I was/am thinking there might be some "limitation" to the audio card that I'm presently using? Trying alternative audio cards for testing is not really an option at this time due to various reasons. So, for the moment I'm stuck with the present audio card.

I thought this funny sound might be some sort of global sound also, but I have yet to find it within the Sound directory under MSTS. I'll take a look at file "navs_env.zip".

Interesting comment Travis!

So the issue might be due to limitations/difficulties of Open Rails dealing with locomotive engine sounds that are some distance away from the viewpoint? That seems to make (some) sense, as the funny sounds always occur when the locomotives are some distance away from the viewpoint and the engine sounds can no longer be heard. Then the funny sounds disappear after a while or when other locomotive engine sounds appear and the funny sounds disappear again.

Can you check if you have the same issue with the Stable release?

Yes. The issue also appears under 1.3.1 (stable), as mentioned in my first post.

This has been around for a long time, if it's what I think it is. About the only time I notice it is when I move way ahead of a train to test crossing signals or when I let a full long train pass

I have tried with following test case, with OR NewYear MG 65.1: I started activity BNSF Westbound Double Stack of BNSF Scenic Route. When the train reaches 5 mph I switch to camera 3 and practically immediately to camera 8. Then I waited that the train goes away. I tested three times but I didn't hear wups; I got only a single burp at the moment I switched from camera 3 to camera 8.

Carlo,

I suspect newer sounds may be designed for hearing at those distances. The problem typically shows up on pre-OR sound systems that were designed with MSTS's sound characteristics in mind