Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: RunOnRails.com

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Well charmed i'm sure Bruce. I stopped watching after you accused me of possibly stealing your login.

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    THanks for the time Bruce but Oh Dear.....

Hmmm... No stars, no moon, no moonlight? ....etc
    From their FAQ. Note the second, third and last paragraphs.

What are you working on right now?

• Improve locomotive systems. Our goal is that you can use the real locomotive manual as a reference. (Expected progressive releases, more relevant systems coming first in the next months).
    • Improve graphics and sound. We are fully aware that our graphics have room for improvement. There are lots of details that we have delayed to future releases, to prioritize other developments that we think are of major significance in this kind of software. (Continued improvements will be released interleaved with other developments).
    • Variable weather. This is not only aesthetics, physics are also affected by weather. For example, our physics engine has contact physics from day 1. You can now, try to get a heavy train moving with full power on grade and see the effects. But since the current weather is always a sunny and comfortable 20ºC / 68ºF day, you cannot feel how adherence between wheels and rails changes in function of temperature and humidity. Variable weather will provide this. (Expect progressive releases start on 2021).
    • Radio communications using a text chat. Real train engineers chat over the radio, so we believe this feature will bring realism, while allowing you to get to know each other virtually. Of course you can turn the radio off and ignore it. (Expected release before end of year).
    • Rolling stock: before the end of this year more cars will be added and, at least, one more locomotive.
    • Scenery: improvements on buildings and other 3D models on both Northeast and Southwest U.S. sceneries.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Hahahahahaha, got you again Bruce. In regards about not showing your login.

Being serious, it looks less than stellar graphics wise.

Horrible MSTS, R8, type foliage. Cab missing details buddy as you pointed out.
    Yma O Hyd

Oh No!, what are we to do. The blues not blue enough. Doesn't look like the ballast is regulatory size. The weeds along the RofW doesn't look to have been treated with RoundUp. I suspect that river not filled with enough tears as well. I created an earlier reply during the night before the various vids, that one looks to have died along the way, somewhere in TrainSim land. Sorry Mike, believe the 2 of us were on somewhat of a roll. Anyways goon, fine vids / info. I too had jumped aboard ROR at release time. There's always something for someone no matter the release.

........ In regards about not showing your login.
    Oh...is that what you were referring to?!
    You had me flummoxed there....I didn't know what you were on about!

Being serious, it looks less than stellar graphics wise.
    True, as the devs have stated. But they are working away at it, if what they've said in the above holds true.

Nobody has yet pointed out some clear similarities between RoR and R8, the two most obvious being that they are freight oriented and USA Class 1 routes.
    If (when?) the R8 devs come up with v3 and it does provide AI generated and controlled traffic (and we don't have to despatch) then there will be the third similarity.

If, therefore, the RoR devs can bring to fruition what they plan regarding multiplayer, AI (or IA, as they call it) and communications, and if their graphics are boosted quality-wise, then it will be interesting to see what happens because there will be two products offering the same thing.

I'm going to pass for now. I really prefer to use my RailDriver as opposed to doing everything by mouse. I'll also wait til the WILMA unit has more functionality as well as the radio. Run8 has a fully functional radio and WILMA unit. Finally, I really wish these train simulators wouldn't abandon steam locomotives. So far RoR, R8, and TSW have focus exclusively on diesel-electric or electric locomotives, but offer nothing for us steam lovers.
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Oh No!, what are we to do. The blues not blue enough. Doesn't look like the ballast is regulatory size. The weeds along the RofW doesn't look to have been treated with RoundUp. I suspect that river not filled with enough tears as well. I created an earlier reply during the night before the various vids, that one looks to have died along the way, somewhere in TrainSim land. Sorry Mike, believe the 2 of us were on somewhat of a roll. Anyways goon, fine vids / info. I too had jumped aboard ROR at release time. There's always something for someone no matter the release.
    Well in view of Bruce's list of promised WIP you cannot be surprised if people comment on what's obviously a Beta programme when they understood it to be a finished one? ...and BTW nothing ever got improved by sycophancy but most things do get improved by criticism?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    .... So far RoR, R8, and TSW have focus exclusively on diesel-electric or electric locomotives, but offer nothing for us steam lovers.
    Steam holds little attraction for the younger generation, either customers or developers.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Well in view of Bruce's list of promised WIP you cannot be surprised if people comment on what's obviously a Beta programme when they understood it to be a finished one? ...and BTW nothing ever got improved by sycophancy but most things do get improved by criticism?
    For a start, it's not MY list. It's the developer's list.
    Secondly, anyone who understood this to be a finished product is either dyslexic or illiterate or maybe both.

It is clearly stated, in the very first sentence on the very first page on https://www.runonrails.com

Welcome to RunOnRails
    A multiplayer online train driving simulator, currently in beta version. You can support this project by subscribing and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    I'm going to pass for now. I really prefer to use my RailDriver as opposed to doing everything by mouse. I'll also wait til the WILMA unit has more functionality as well as the radio. Run8 has a fully functional radio and WILMA unit. Finally, I really wish these train simulators wouldn't abandon steam locomotives. So far RoR, R8, and TSW have focus exclusively on diesel-electric or electric locomotives, but offer nothing for us steam lovers.
    lol.. from someone who's worked with steam, there's a reason for their death. After many hrs, days with them, not sorry to see them go. Having to climb in inspect / clean boiler/ flue tubes because your the smallest able to fit thru the doors, &, all while coals still warm / hot below ya. The list goes on. No thank you, good riddens... lol... Hell, the first diesels could be a handful, esp. no pressure maintaining, alongwith other creature comforts of today. In the same token. Anything Carbody a nightmare. SD's about the last of my love of RR. Desktops just don't fit many places, let alone, many little guys unable to afford. Alco / GP / SD a great time to be within the RR family.

Thinking out loud here, besides why would anyone wish to go back in time, esp., haven perhaps never lived it. Christ, many unable to live without Cell Phone, TV / PC etc. as it is. Besides all that soot would most likely just block your signal..lol.... Cancer Anyone?...
    Last edited by SMRY; 10-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.