Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RunOnRails.com

Default RunOnRails.com

Has anyone looked into the title RunOnRails.com

Looks to be in its infancy, Subscription $16 USD / yr..
    May or may-not be of interest, keep watch.

Just had a look Scott, but i wouldn't be that interested. In something that runs in a web browser, thank you.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

It is worth watching how it grows. I no longer have Windows-capable computers, the developers state it will run on a Mac. With sufficient routes and equipment, might be worth a try.

Not really interested in a subscription based programme, but thanks for sharing anyway.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Has anyone looked into the title RunOnRails.com...
    Looks interesting. Curiosity just may get the better of me!

Thanks for the H/U.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and this morning I subscribed to RoR and undertook a 45-minute run from Fairless Junction yard to Port Reading yard.
    For those such as myself who have a preference for "point A to point B" runs the experience was pretty enjoyable.

Graphics are good - not at the same level as, say, TSW but they are certainly better than some other train sims.
    Sounds are also quite acceptable - engine, horn, bell and track sounds all heard from an in-cab location plus passing-by sounds when in the exterior viewpoints.
    Views are limited to in-cab (the primary location, obviously) and two external views, with repositioning of camera and zoom capability on all three.
    All controls are mouse operated.
    Information is brought up via F1 and F2 keys, the latter giving info on speed limits at specific mileposts and an overview of the timetable.
    Signals, mileposts and speed signs are well represented and can be zoomed into for clarity.

Physics/dynamics also good.
    The train I had was 2200 feet in length and felt like it when accelerating and braking.

The sim ran very smoothly....no lag, no stuttering, no dropouts and I'd say that the FPS was up in the 40 to 50 region.

Yeah....not too bad at all. For US$16 p/a it's a cheap buy and will be interesting to see where they go from here.

One point of concern is that there is no information on their page as to how they can be contacted. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no email address. Nothing.
    Maybe they don't want feedback.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

UPDATE.......
    (For those who may be interested.)

I ran a second session today - a haul which had a timetable of approx. 90 minutes.
    I chose one which was set at night, just to see what the lighting effects are like.
    Pretty decent, from the engineer's viewpoint; the line and line-side are properly illuminated. In-cab instrument lighting is also good and the digital display for the train-length and radio are well done.
    Bearing in mind that this is in beta, I make allowance for the fact that, in external views, the loco lights do not illuminate. I imagine the devs will get around to that.

I would also hope that they apply more than one shade of colour to every building that can be seen. At the moment they are white, as are any road-bridges which cross the line.
    Signal lights could be brighter, too. Not that they are hard to see, just dull rather than a "glow".

There are a couple of UI things which I think could be tidied up when they have the chance.
    One is to make the mouse cursor disappear when idle, rather than having to tuck it away at the edge of the screen.
    Another is to give key-strokes for such things as horn, bell, sand, throttle, brake etcetera....those functions which, in other sims, we have become accustomed to.

All-in-all......not bad. Certainly better than many beta releases I've seen over the years and even better than some final versions.

Good stuff Bruce! How does the multiplayer work? Did you pass any other players driving? Is the dispatching done by humans, do you have any interaction with them?

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Good stuff Bruce! How does the multiplayer work? Did you pass any other players driving? Is the dispatching done by humans, do you have any interaction with them?
    Multiplayer is automatic - you log in, choose a session, all of which are listed by start-time and location. If someone else has chosen the same session then you may see them, depending on how long before you they started. You will also see approaching trains if the players have started in the opposite direction.
    Despatching and CTC is handled by AI. There is no communication with other players - which to me is a positive!

If there are no other trains ahead of you then you will have a clean run to your destination, so the only interaction occurs when you get yellow or red signals.

To my way of thinking, it's a credible idea and if it takes hold and the devs expand on it then I think it will increase in appeal.
    As they say in the blurb....you are the engineer, and that's it.
    Last edited by seagoon; 06-17-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Interesting. I had wondered if it was going to be like a Virtual Airline (just log your time in single player) or like OMSI2's Bus Company Simulator, where all BCS players pick from the available jobs posted for each route. You don't actually see them in the game world, but you do see them moving on the minimap.

I like the idea that you can just pick a train and get going. It'll be worth keeping an eye on it to see if they expand it to other functions beyond A to B driving. Not having to talk to other players is a huge bonus in my book, to say nothing of the fact that the subscription fee should keep "griefers" and other troublemakers away.