Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RunOnRails.com

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Interesting. I had wondered if it was going to be like a Virtual Airline (just log your time in single player) or like OMSI2's Bus Company Simulator, where all BCS players pick from the available jobs posted for each route. You don't actually see them in the game world, but you do see them moving on the minimap.......
    At the end of each job you receive an assessment which is based on whether you kept to the time-table, did you exceed the speed limit at any point, did you accelerate/decelerate within the "comfort" bounds, etc. Your performance is logged and recorded in your "career" portfolio.

As the sim is designed as a driver/engineer sim, with the view from the cab predominating, it reminds me very much of both BVE and TrainMaster 4.

The cost to subscribe is a pittance, really. Less than the price of a Big Mac meal.
    But you are right, I feel - it's enough to deter the rabble.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I too took the plunge, last night, and basically I haven't played anything else since subscribed. Sixteen bucks is indeed a pittance, and the sim turned out to be so much more than I had initially expected. I mean, it was a browser thing ... how good could it be?

Well, I get a steady 60 fps in-game, which of course plunges a bit when you meet opposing trains (which you do even if there aren't other players logged in). How do I know I got 60 fps? I installed an FPS extension in my Firefox browser. And there's a tale behind that ...

The company's literature - all online, btw - mentions that the sim works with all browsers, but was programmed with Firefox and hence they recommended that. My default browser is the Chromium-based Edge, which I like quite a bit. But as it turned out Edge did *not* like RunOnRails: stuttering and static. So I downloaded Firefox, installed same + the extension, and off I went.

Everything that Bruce points out I second, but of course with my own points:

1. It's like a rogue-like in that there are no aids to help you. No track monitor, no siding names, nothing to indicate whether you are on an up hill or down dale grade, zip. You have to figure that out yourself. Just like the real railroaders.

2. Because there's no track monitor, signals become much more important; you spend a lot to time squinting into the digital distance trying to make out the indication. And there's no signal light glow option, either. "Hey Fred, do you think that signal ahead is restricting?"

3. Again because there's no track monitor, you have to suss out the current and following track speeds by a) knowledge of the CSX/NORAC railroad rules and signal indications, and b) looking for those tiny milepost markers and speed signs, the former of which are the very devil to make out when you are doing 50 or more. Why is that important? Because you are given a sort of timetable that outlines where you start, where you should end up, the starting and ending times, and all the major mileposts in between with their relevant speed limits. So to avoid a speeding penalty you want to know at least a mile, preferably a couple of miles, where that speed marker is gonna be. I found it difficult enough that my solution is just to run the routes enough that you have them memorized.

4. The physics, so far, and for a piece of beta software, are IMHO fantastic. As Bruce pointed out, the train feels heavy when you pull it. There is coupler slack btw, as well as cab sway. All without having to figure out the math to do it in ORTS ...

5. As for the lack of communication points with the author (and I'm fairly sure it is just one guy, like with ZUSI), he states that he's kept a low-profile because he prefers to work on updates - and continual updates at that, rather than sparsely-scheduled bi-annual updates. That said, he does provide a feedback email address on his FAQ: [email protected]

6. If you read the FAQ you'll see where he's going with this.

7. Finally, I was blown away at looking at a route just as good as Run8, maybe better, on a blankety-blank browser. Yowsers! You can play this thing on almost any recent computer. Mine's 6 years old, aa core i5 with a GTW1060. Not even a Porsche Boxter anymore ...

David

David,
    Thanks for the kind references and I think as you do: this is going somewhere.
    Also thank you for the H/U on the dev's email address, which I obviously overlooked.

I've done another two sessions today and my enthusiasm has grown.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

This web browser based train simulator kinda puts ORTS to shame. ORTS needs to update it's environmental aspect pretty badly. The weather effects, water effects, lighting, etc.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    This web browser based train simulator kinda puts ORTS to shame. ORTS needs to update it's environmental aspect pretty badly. The weather effects, water effects, lighting, etc.

Robert

LOL, I'm sure this one would suck, too, if sissies were running around saying it couldn't ever leave MSTS compatibility behind.

Not to sure about this one. Open rails is really better than this lol. I guess when you get old your eyes are not as good for some folks. Any who no Info on the people or person who made this so I guess good night and good luck.
    sparkplug

I have also taken the plunge after reading Bruce's review and what David said and agree with them both.
    For £13 GBP it's very good value, only had a quick go so far but am amazed how smooth it runs(and in a browser).
    Yes some sounds could better and more varied scenery but it's early days so am sure it will get better and better.

Well, the devs are reading this thread so if you have any comments then this is a place to air them. Also to their email feedback address.

I had an email from one of the guys and they added an FAQ and email address to their site after reading my comment about the lack of same.

I too got a reply from the developer, concerning a question I had re: the purported engine manual. I had wanted to see the braking and engine starting information. The very nice reply was that they were working on it and it would be included with the rest of the info when they get it done. So this is no more a fly-by-night outfit than any other indie developer.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that you can exit the engine and walk along the railbed, and, go from engine to engine (which you will need to do to manually start them if you so choose). Finally, here is a list of the train sims I've owned and played at one time or another (with the vast bulk of my time with MSTS and then, when it came out, ORTS), in alpha order:

1. DRS
    2. MaSzyna
    3. MSTS/ORTS
    4. OpenBVE
    5. RS/RW
    6. Run8
    7. Steam Express
    8. Trainz
    9. ZD Simulator
    10. Zusi 2

I've found that RunOnRails has the most immersive driving experience of any of the above. I've driven nothing else since I subscribed to it. YMMV, of course.

David
    Last edited by dedwa15237; 06-26-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: requested changes..

I had a look at it and not impressed with it at all.
    Work Safe play hard