Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: RunOnRails.com

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Steam holds little attraction for the younger generation, either customers or developers.
    Well that's a shame, I guess I'm part of the last generation who still appreciate the majesty and beauty of steam locomotives.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    lol.. from someone who's worked with steam, there's a reason for their death. After many hrs, days with them, not sorry to see them go. Having to climb in inspect / clean boiler/ flue tubes because your the smallest able to fit thru the doors, &, all while coals still warm / hot below ya. The list goes on. No thank you, good riddens... lol... Hell, the first diesels could be a handful, esp. no pressure maintaining, alongwith other creature comforts of today. In the same token. Anything Carbody a nightmare. SD's about the last of my love of RR. Desktops just don't fit many places, let alone, many little guys unable to afford. Alco / GP / SD a great time to be within the RR family.

Thinking out loud here, besides why would anyone wish to go back in time, esp., haven perhaps never lived it. Christ, many unable to live without Cell Phone, TV / PC etc. as it is. Besides all that soot would most likely just block your signal..lol.... Cancer Anyone?...
    I know why railroads prefer diesel-electric to steam, I know why the old iron giants died out. Diesel-Electric are more efficient, cost effective, cheaper to operate and maintain and take less manpower to operate and repair. At least for me, diesel-electric doesn't hold as much in the imagination as steam locomotives do. From a rail sim P.O.V. diesel-electric are boring., mainly they're boring to operate.

This is just me, but I love the balancing act of fire, water, and getting the most you can out of a steam locomotive while still being efficient with your fuel/water via the regulator and the Johnson Bar. I've been around several steam locomotives in my lifetime and I love the smell, the sight, the sound, etc. My A.D.D. brain loves the complexity.
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    Well that's a shame, I guess I'm part of the last generation who still appreciate the majesty and beauty of steam locomotives.

I know why railroads prefer diesel-electric to steam, I know why the old iron giants died out. Diesel-Electric are more efficient, cost effective, cheaper to operate and maintain and take less manpower to operate and repair. At least for me, diesel-electric doesn't hold as much in the imagination as steam locomotives do. From a rail sim P.O.V. diesel-electric are boring., mainly they're boring to operate.

This is just me, but I love the balancing act of fire, water, and getting the most you can out of a steam locomotive while still being efficient with your fuel/water via the regulator and the Johnson Bar. I've been around several steam locomotives in my lifetime and I love the smell, the sight, the sound, etc. My A.D.D. brain loves the complexity.
    lol. surely wasn't a knock, just for the life of me could never understand the fascination. Same goes for those with a love for the CarBody diesels. A desktop about as useless as ..... hell, even the SD-series along with other 6-axles of that range have their never ending limits in practical service. I'll admit, even some of the Alco's I'd rather scrap (I can feel the daggers now) when push comes to shove...lol... Thank goodness for pressure maintaining, 26L, abd / abdw, roller bearings, etc. I do however miss a 3-man crew. Hacks, I be on the fence with those. Remember, don't flush the toilet while standing at station stops. Another nice enjoyable time in RR life, wallowing around underneath, along side adjusting mops within JBoxes, &, filling journal boxes. God I loved the RR...lol. Once in the O'l blood, though my veins be filled with crater.

Bruce, a list of what we are going to do, does not guarantee anything.

We have seen it so often before, with different developers.

DTG and TSW editors being a good example. As far as i am concerned, they lied through their teeth.

Who's to say this game, actually ends up with everything promised.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Bruce, a list of what we are going to do, does not guarantee anything.

We have seen it so often before, with different developers.

DTG and TSW editors being a good example. As far as i am concerned, they lied through their teeth.

Who's to say this game, actually ends up with everything promised.
    Don't forget R8...lol. though with any of them (games / sims) don't recall being promises, goals yes, promises no. I'm saddened when goals don't come to fruition, though, only human, mood changes, goals change, perhaps just say "F" it not worth the trouble, no matter what we release, not good enough for many, why bother, lets get'm, string'm along.... the list goes on. Enjoy what's here & now, for, tomorrow may never come.

Bruce, a list of what we are going to do, does not guarantee anything.....
    I didn't come down in the last shower, Mike, so I'm not so naive as to automatically accept that everything planned by a developer will be followed through.
    But neither am I cynical to the point where I simply reject everything a dev says as being bullshit.

I'm a "glass half full" person - that's my nature, always has been and always will be.
    In that respect I'm glad I'm an optimist; I couldn't imagine going through life looking on the negative side.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Good Bruce, or you would be pretty wet. Mind a drop of rain in NSW, would probably be very welcome.
    Yma O Hyd

Good Bruce, or you would be pretty wet. Mind a drop of rain in NSW, would probably be very welcome.
    Getting it across the centre right now, Mike ....we have an "El Nina" effect this spring, according to the weather wizards.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Well done on posting those videos Bruce, I just have not had time to sort one out.
    I did do a 3hr run the other week and really enjoyed it, plenty of AI traffic about.
    I am sure that if you pass another player train you see their username above the train, not too sure though as not many humans playing yet.
    I am sure it will get better and better, already got great potential.
    —————
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Getting it across the centre right now, Mike ....we have an "El Nina" effect this spring, according to the weather wizards.
    Oh we have something called El Nino now and again. Must be our weather equivilent of your La Nina.

I was watching a documentary last night. A bloke travelling down your east coast. He stopped off in the Liverpool Plains, to visit some of the farmers. They were saying how the mineral\coal mining industry was trying to strong arm it's way into the area.

Seems a bit crazy when the area provides food for Australia and the rest of the world.

But yet the mining conglomerates seem to be making progress, in aquiring essential arable land.

Sounds like short term, short sighted gain to me.
    Yma O Hyd

Oh we have something called El Nino now and again. Must be our weather equivilent of your La Nina.
    No, Mike....they are opposites.
    La Nina is 'the girl' and El Nino 'the boy'. All to do with weather patterns peculiar to the southern hemisphere and the Pacific, apparently.
    Here's some guff.............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

.......the Liverpool Plains, to visit some of the farmers. They were saying how the mineral\coal mining industry was trying to strong arm it's way into the area..
    This has been a sore point for years, if not decades.
    Now, with the recession due to COVID-19, the push is even stronger for gas exploration.
    The old story, Mike, of money speaking louder than words and the environment suffering.

We can't eat coal.