Thread: Cat master temp file issue

Default Cat master temp file issue

Hi there,
    I've been trying to get to grips with Catenary Master in an MSTS route I'm editing but keep coming up with the same issue.
    I've installed it as per the manual which I've gone over with a fine tooth comb as well as other threads but alas to no avail.
    Every time I try and run catmaster just to add wires, no gantries I get the following error message:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error message and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediatly.

Access to path 'c:\Program Files\Catmaster\Workspace\tempwfile.tmp' is denied."

If I click continue, nothing happens. I've tried the application with catmaster in and away from program files. Ive even tried to create a fake temp.tmp file but can't.

Any help would be so greatfully received. It's probably somehting obvious but I've spent hours and can't find out what.

Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum

I've never used the program myself, but I suggest you move Catmaster well away from the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folders. The best idea is to uninstall it from its present location and re-install it into something like C:\Catmaster. If you've already done that, set the Catmaster .exe file to "Run this program as an administrator" from its Properties > Compatibility tab. I doubt if you'd be able to set up a fake temp file because Catmaster needs to create it for itself.

Cheers,
    Ged

Keep Safe!!
    Last edited by slipperman; 06-17-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Guys,

I use the program a lot. One peculiarity is that it must be installed in the Program Files (X86) directory
    and this must be on the "C" drive. My guess is that when Simon created the route, he was probably on
    Win-95 or Win-XP and on those it was hard to have more than one drive.

Anyway, install it in the correct directories on the "C" drive. I found the hard, hair pulling way, that I
    kept getting that error until Simon, whom I regularly communicate with told me where it had to be
    installed. I have also created quite a few more catenary pieces for it, edited the database files to
    handle those, and have completed the catenary on the Virginian, which has a unrelated error that
    Lukas Lussar is looking into.

My setup runs fine on Win-7. I haven't moved to Win-10 but I would assume that the same rule
    applies there.

Jerry Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Hi Jerry,
    Many thanks for your update, and my apologies to ha9741 for, possibly, getting it wrong

I'm sure it would be of interest to others to know the 'secret' of where Catmaster has to be installed, especially in Win 7/10, so could you please enlighten us?

Cheers,
    Ged

Keep Safe!!

Default Proper Install of CatMaster on Win-7

I can do that, and I'll also contact Simon Van de Laak and ask him to do so as well. He has essentially dropped
    out of MSTS but is doing some coal mine structures for me, which he will put in the library for any one to use.

On my Win-7 system, it only works if installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CatMaster folder. I have some
    material in folders there like Mtracks_shapes that are just kept there so it is a full load. See the attachment.
    The contents of Tool is mostly an Excel file that helps one to determine dimensions of new catenary pieces
    that one desires to make with TSM or your preferred object creator program.

Workspace is where the temp files are used. Simon did not include his source code when this program was
    put in the library in 2008 but if he still has it and someone has a more up to date compiler, it might be
    possible to create a new version better suited to Win-7/10. As I don't have Win-10 I cannot speak to the
    install requirement for that.

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

Well I was summoned out of my den by Jerry, I hope I can give some answers.

Catmaster was written in VB in 2008, IIRC. The source files are also provided in the download here on Trainsim.com.
    The most probable reason you get this message is that Catmaster doesn't has authorization to write it's files in the directory it is nagging about. I do know that windows 10 is more strict on writing authorizations in certain folders (I recently found this out myself when using 3dcanvas In windows 10, but that is a different story)
    You can place the whole Catmaster folder in a different folder and change the references to these folders in the catmaster.ini file. Catmaster will work fine then. Only thing what could go wrong next is that it is not allowed to write in the Train Simulator folder.

Hope this helps.
    with kind regards,
    Simon

I haven’t installed this program personally yet, but I know that on newer versions of windows, “taking ownership” of and allowing write access to the C drive and the program files folders to the user should allow the use of any programs, if the user is at least an “administrator” account.

As long as you keep your MSTS/OR stuff out of the Programs/Programs(86) folders there are no problems, Windows will let you do anything you want.
    Just create your train folders in the root of the C drive. Examples are, C:/1MSTS, C:/Trains, C:/ORMG_66. Or you can put them on your D drive or E drive, doesn't matter as long as you steer clear of the Programs/Programs(86) folders.
    It's not that difficult.

Randy

What rdayt says is true of the MSTS programs, or the ORTS program, and the TSRE program, butt
    for whatever reason, CatMaster is a beast of a different coat pattern and MUST go as I mentioned
    above. And yes, I am often called the "cat man". #5 joined with us a month ago and has now
    been "fixed". A young very handsome male kitty, about a year old. We named him "Tommy".
    He joins "SMokey" aged at least 13, as one of our 2 outside kittys. Sox, PrettyGirl, and Nikki are
    the three inside ones.

J. H. Sullivan