Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-installation question

Default Re-installation question

I run Open Rails but use the old MSTS activity. I have a situation where I need a clean install of MSTS. Since I still have the original MSTS CDs, IS there a way to re-install just the MSTS part without effecting the Open Rails setup?

AN MSTS install will not do anything to the Open Rails install.
    Install away.
    Cheers
    Derek

But a new MSTS install will overwrite your current content unless you install it in another location.
    I've pretty much replaced all of the default stuff that came with MSTS. If you've done the same be sure you put it somewhere else.
    Remambe to stay away from the Windows programs and pragrams(86) folders.

Randy

Good practice is to keep all your routes and stock on a separate internal hard drive (not c:, and not a USB connected external drive). If you don't have a separate data drive or can't put one in because of a laptop, then boo hoo on you for not owning proper hardware to make installing your favorite ancient software easy as pie.

The "1MSTS" folder is simply one of many OR installations that should reside on that separate data drive. The 1MSTS one is different because it also contains all the MSTS core files. The other installations contain only the 4 basic OR content directories. 1MSTS sits parallel to any strictly OR content installations. If I have to wipe and rebuild my OS C: drive, all I do is temporarily rename the 1MSTS folder on the data drive. After rebuilding C:, Install MSTS again to that data drive. Doing so creates a new 1MSTS folder as it re-installs and makes the necessary registry entries on the fresh OS. Once its done, I usually delete the new 1MSTS folder on the data drive and rename the old one back.

I recently had a hard drive starting to take a dump on me a couple months back and I had all of my content saved on an external hard drive but when I copied my existing content onto my new hard drive OR is having issues reading my content? The best way I can describe it is that my computer is speaking English and trying to translate my content into Mandarin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help much with a description like that.

What are you trying to do ?
    What errors are you getting?
    Cheers
    Derek

When I go to my route selection I get <load error: "Route name" and same with any consist or trainset that I haven't installed since the issue occured. I have installed MRL Mullan and a few other items I had on CD's since. And if I go try to run on a route with missing equipment I get the following "Orts.Parsers.Msts.STFException: MissingTr_RouteFile in C:\TrainSImulator\ROUTES\ConrailIndy2.trk:line11"

Do I assume that the drive was the C drive?
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Do I assume that the drive was the C drive?
    Correct.

Ok, the registry is not set up.

You need to reinstall everything and then copy the backup over the top of the new install.
    Cheers
    Derek