Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read My Lips - There Will Never Be An Editor

Default Read My Lips - There Will Never Be An Editor

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/thr...-2#post-143686

I can take that as a maybe then, is it

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

LOL!!
    nice one, Mike.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Well there we have it Bruce. Someone at DTG actually had the balls, to come clean.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I'm very suspicious when people say things like "There are a number of reasons but I can't give details." Why can't they give details? It would certainly help if they would.

It certainly can't be the technical complexities of using an editor. There are some very talented train simmers out there who, once given the tools, will nut it out for themselves. As they did with MSTS.

Most likely it's all about control. They want to be able to control content.

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    I'm very suspicious when people say things like "There are a number of reasons but I can't give details." Why can't they give details?..........They want to be able to control content.
    I think you are spot-on the mark, Phil.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yeah I can see it being about controlling the content. But Unreal does have it's limitations despite whatever they were trying to do with an editor. Run8 on the other hand is like controlling their content. Again nobody knows outside the team what the SDK was supposed to be. But there was something at one time planned judging by their website. Both these developers have been pretty clear now it's not going to happen.

After my experience with MSTS I thought route building was extremely difficult. That all changed this spring with TRS19 and is one of it's strong points for years. For whatever reason this version & my pc specs are in sink compared to where I was in 2010.

Thanks

Sean

They have always wanted control. Anyway at least they have admitted the situation - TBH I never really expected a route editor given the complexities of UE and the fact you probably need $10k worth of 3D modelling and graphics software to make a station sign, but I had hoped for a timetable editor.

Still there we have it, TSW and TSW2 are the latter day Densha De Go's, but without the quirkiness and fun of the Japanese train simming style.
    Vern.

Seriously thinking of removing TSW from my Steam library permanently.

Already done it with 5 other games, including Rolling Lines.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Seriously thinking of removing TSW from my Steam library permanently.....
    Mike, I don't think that you understand the meaning of the word "permanently".
    It doesn't mean "for a few days or weeks or months....".
    It means "forever".

Now come on Bruce, i am only 75% brain dead, buddy.

As i said above i did the same with 5 other games. Verdun, Transport Fever 2, Rolling Lines, Outlaws Of The West and Total War Napoleon.

Mike.