Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BN scenic

Fantastic shots and cool touch on the fuel tender!!!!
    Kevin Kelleher

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Just searched for that,nothing found.
    Search "Scenic" - bnsf_scenic_v_2_to_us3tracks.zip

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

OK,found it,but is it really for Open rails only ?

You could read the readme

Open Rails/US3 Tracks Upgrade for the SLI/TS BNSF Scenic v.2 Route

This modification of the BNSF Scenic v.2 route contains the following files:
    * This readme file
    * A "BNSF Scenic Timeline.txt" document
    * The mod itself contained in "Scenic_v.2_to_US3_Upgrade.zip"
    * A folder entitled "v.1-to-v.2"

1. This mod is intended for Open Rails. It will work with MSTS, but you will end up with a mish-mash of track because the procedurally-generated dynamic tracks will NOT follow the US3 tracks profile. If there is enough clamour for an MSTS version of the mod I will submit one, but my basic assumption is that at this point in time most of you will be using ORTS and not MSTS.

2. There were/are two versions of the BNSF Scenic Route, a version 1 and a version 2. This mod is intended for version 2 ONLY; it will NOT WORK with version 1.

3. Read this readme file followed by the "BNSF_Scenic Timeline" file *completely* before doing anything else. I know, I know, you want to get on with this and have some fun. Read it anyway. I've tried to make this operation as painless as possible, but there is one possible fubar here that could throw a crowbar in your works if you don't know what you are doing. If you follow my directions precisely, to the letter, I more or less guarantee that you'll end up with a glitchless installation. I say "more or less" because, to quote Immanual Kant, "Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made."

3. If, as it turns out, you purchased the upgrade patch that converted the version 1 iteration of BNSF Scenic to version 2 (the executable was called "BNSF_Scenic2_upgrade.exe") then stop right now and open the "v.1-to-v.2" folder and read the "BNSF Scenic upgrade routine from v.1.00.1 to v.2.01.rtf" document. Make sure you've executed each and every one of the steps in that document in order before proceeding. If you don't that crowbar just might come flying your way.

4. If, on the other hand, you purchased any of the full versions of BNSF Scenic v.2, which you of course can positively identify because you've already read the "BNSF Scenic Timeline.txt" document and committed it to heart, then you can proceed immediately to step 5.

5. Make a backup of your ROUTES\BNSF_Scenic folder. Really, back it up ... remember what Kant said.

6. Open the "Scenic_v.2_to_US3 Upgrade.zip file and drag and drop the two included folders, GLOBAL and ROUTES into wherever you've installed BNSF_Scenic. That folder should have 4 sub-folders named GLOBAL, ROUTES, SOUND and TRAINS. The files in the upgrade's GLOBAL and ROUTES folders will attempt to overwrite your backed-up installation. Accept all of these overwrites.

7. Done! You are good to go; enjoy your new US3Tracks-converted route.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits and thanks:

1. Thanks to Jason Dilworth and the folks at SLI/TS for permission to post this mod. Their enlightened and fan-friendly policies towards mods and repaints has made their firm the go-to choice for train simmers for over a decade. Thanks Jason!
    2. Thanks to the late Norbert Rieger for his creation of the libraries of first DB- and then USTracks shapes and explicitly allowing their re-use as freeware packages for route modifications.
    3. Thanks to Paul Peterson for his permission for me to utilize his modified and original .ace files for use with US3Tracks - a huge improvement in the route's mosaic compatibility. Thank you Paul!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caveats and Emptors:

1. The files included in this mod are copywrite by TrainSimulations.net, the estate of Norbert Rieger, and Paul Peterson. They are used with their kind permission. No re-use for profit of any kind is permitted.
    2. This US3 track replacement is supplied as FREEWARE. It can be redistributed on other websites only with the permission of Dave Richtmyer.

Further, if this US3Tracks update causes any instabilities to ORTS or to your computer, none of the above listed authors are to be held responsible. Caveat emptor, indeed.

If you have questions or comments, please contact me on the Trainsim.com forums and I will endeavor to help. My user name is "Shawmut."

21 October 2019
    DLR
    Cheers
    Derek

I searched and downloaded the file with no problems!
    Kevin Kelleher

I do not use Open Rails,I cannot get it to work and when I have used it,I dislike the views.I do not understand the anti MSTS brigade,it works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    I do not use Open Rails,I cannot get it to work and when I have used it,I dislike the views.I do not understand the anti MSTS brigade,it works fine for me.
    Pete time to "bite the bullet" mate. Firstly Open Rails does not interfere with any of your MSTS stuff. I still run MSTS for my (now sadly few and rather aged looking UK routes) and use it's tools. The trouble is that too many folk on here INSIST that you MUST use the latest tools but they still don't do all that the old ones do AND they miss the point that "an old hammer knocks in nails just the same as a new one"?

Everything I've got as MSTS routes I usually run in OR simply because it has taken things that step further that could never be reached with MSTS.

Open Rails Views are utterly brilliant! You can change views, FOVs, camera positions, heights etc. on the move. No more setting up a cam with a fixed FOV, no more key strokes to freeze or change the camera view. 90% of it can be done with the mouse wheel. Add Super elevation, rocking and rolling (variable) of the stock, changeable weather live in the Sim.... It still has a few issues (however much the fan boys shake their heads) but so many people have done so much work to fix these. Biggest plus for me, although the MSTS patch has now solved this, is the ability to run widescreen at optimum resolution.

Give it another go. It took me a good while to commit to it as much as I use it now but it is too good now not to make the switch. You can still run the UK stuff in MSTS. BTW loads of help out there on physics now too.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I have enough to do with MSTS without introducing a whole new load of eng and wag files.Very happy with MSTS despite recent problems which I have solved.At my age,not prepared to commit to so much more work to make it work.As for superelevation,etc on the real thing you do not notice it ! Further,cannot get sounds to work correctly and if I had the skill to convert a route like this I would gladly make it freely available.