Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been a While, But Unfinished Things Must Be Finished

Default It's Been a While, But Unfinished Things Must Be Finished

Hi everyone,

In the spring months of 2019 I had a strong desire to build a much more up-to-date version of GE's 'Genesis' units for Open Rails. 3D cab, high resolution textures - and a much more accurate base model that fixed the somewhat off proportions of some of the other models out there.

Over a few months, with the help of many in this community and at Elvas Tower, I created and tested this model extensively, and released some beta versions which people seemed to like. However, I was a bit ahead of myself in certain areas - mostly the basics in modelling and UV mapping - which left me frustrated with how the rear of the units looked, and how the 3D cab area ended up looking in game.

I also had moved on to a new version of Blender - which the MSTS exporter did not work with yet, but that has been updated and now allows me to work in a much better workspace.

I got busy and shelved the project, but saved the files in case I ever wanted to come back to it. I got a message today from a buddy who was helping to create liveries for the project, asking if I would ever finish these engines. I was SO close. So I've decided to dust them off and finally finish them out. I am setting myself a deadline - August 1st, 2020.

By then, the Open Rails community will have freshly rebuilt P32AC-DMs, P40s, and P42s to play with, along with accompanying Viewliner IIs, all with 3D interiors (locomotives included) with liveries from several eras of modern Amtrak. I am asking you, the community, to hold me accountable here so I don't get lazy - because I know the satisfaction of uploading my first pieces of content to the library will put a smile on more than just my face.

These Genesis engines were part of my childhood - and as they begin to leave service - this is my way of saving them. For those who didn't monitor the thread in the modeling forum, here are some old renderings and pictures from last year. I need to tear the rear ends off of them and remodel, along with creating new UV maps and textures, but this is what I'm working with.

I intend to start working on these next Tuesday after I return from a work trip to Chicago.

And oh yes - freeware.

-Kyle

YES! I began wondering about the state of this project a while back; cool to know you will continue it!
    Looking forward to the release.
    (Meanwhile, my own projects keep collecting dust on the hard drive... 😃)

Can't wait.
    Redefined for better content craftsmanship.

Wow. I heard the cabview had considerable progress, but I wasn't expecting that much change.

Great work Kyle.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Oh that is GREAT to hear!! I'm glad you've been doing well, and rest assured I am excitedly looking forward to the progress with this!! The 3D cab looks stunning to boot!!!

Nice work! Glad to see these engines looking dirty vs. factory fresh, given their hard use and age.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

These are beautiful! As are the viewliners.

For me, it is the F40's. Which dates me.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    These are beautiful! As are the viewliners.

For me, it is the F40's. Which dates me.

Christopher
    Phase III P42s out in NC and heritage sleepers/diners in Phase IV for me!

Welcome back friend and excellent work. 🖖🖖👏👏👏
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Awesome man! Went on the LSL right before the Covid stuff hit, was fun to see P32s and ride Viewliners - way nicer than superliners in regards to top bunk. Look forward to running them! Makes it super tempting to make a Hudson Line to Albany route....