Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: It's Been a While, But Unfinished Things Must Be Finished

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    148

    Default

    The first step was to tear off all of the side vents and the entire rear of the locomotive. Before, I had elected to do some of the vents textured on, and some physical. The problem with Open Rails is that, to my knowledge, it doesn't yet support normal or bump mapping, so textured on vents don't really do the trick.

    So I tore off my old, crudely modeled ones, and plan to replace them all with more detailed venting. The rear of the locomotive had all sorts of weird shading issues because I was new to modeling at the time. I've learned how to better manipulate mesh, so I chased all the bad mesh up to the front doors of the locomotive. There are still some slight issues to iron out with the way the shading is, but it's a lot more contained to a small area rather than the massive flat rear end. This was sort of a big hurdle last year and one of the reasons I shelved the project - I just got frustrated.

    So, while it may not look like much, this simplification is actually a big step forward. New vents, roof detail, and the P32AC-DM model will be complete. The texturing process will go MUCH faster, and the UV maps will be laid out far more cleanly. I don't want these to be a paint to paint - the engine will be split into its major components - left side, right side, nose, roof, and rear. The nose and one of the sides will be aligned to make lining up liveries much easier. Last time, I used 4096x4096 texture maps and Open Rails had absolutely no problem handling those texture sizes.

    The trucks should also be on the main texture map for simplification - there should be plenty of space.



  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northwest Lake Ontario
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Right on, Kyle ...outstanding, bud

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Vents and lighting put in - exterior model for the dual-mode unit is 'complete'. Now for the UV mapping. Can get tedious, but things are progressing nicely.




  4. #14

    Default

    Beautiful!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I have decided to continue posting updates in my original thread in another area of the forum - follow along there if you're interested. Finishing this project will be very exciting, and once I'm happy with the UV mapping and painted details, we're only days away from the dual-mode variant being 'done', cabview adjustments pending.

    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...22#post1970322

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •