Thread: TrainSimulations Purchases?

Question TrainSimulations Purchases?

I have a history with purchases from TrainSimulations. Recently, my master external drive had issues and I can no longer use the drive. I am going to look into data restoration. If it turns out that the TrainSimulations files can't be saved which also includes the screen copy of the purchase, is there a way I can still re-download the items again? Since my purchase history goes back at least 3 years and more, I have to wonder if certain items can ever be downloaded again.

I still have the MSTS installation which includes everything that has been purchased so it's not a complete loss.

Can you easily pull the drive from the external case and hook it up direct using a sata cable? Many times an external unit failure is in the electronics of the external package and not with the drive itself.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Can you easily pull the drive from the external case and hook it up direct using a sata cable? Many times an external unit failure is in the electronics of the external package and not with the drive itself.
    So true, I repair my mates PC's when the pros say it would take too much time
    and a new PC would be cheaper.

My time is limitless and free so I have a go and
    often when all indications are that the HDD has failed and I remove it to test it
    on an external device it works so I try new cables and usually that works, if not
    I give up as I cannot fix MB issues.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

I already know the drive is shot. This just goes to show that any mechanical external backup device used can be at risk. I have read at one point that flash drives should not be used for long term storage, but this information is old so maybe flash drives are better now. I guess the only long term solution is to keep your backups spread out on different media/devices so if you lose one, the loss would not be too permanent.

I can only share my experience here. While I did actually lose about 50% of my early 3D modeling masters by trusting a Thumb drive as my only backup media over using an HDD backup, I also lost an EXTRA copy of all my historical stuff on an external HDD backup... so in my world, it's still 50/50. I do tend to trust HDD more than Thumdrives... but, I have had no thumb-drive failures in the last 5 years.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Being pretty much old-school, I still burn important purchases to a CD!