Thread: Amtrak Acela Lite

Default Amtrak Acela Lite

Hello.

I've seen the acela light consist in the file library. lightser.zip
    Was the Acela Light ever a real service, because apart from the file description:
    MSTS Acela Light Train Consist. This consist is based on the Acela Light Service that travels from Baltimore to Washington DC on the Northeast Corridor. By Daniel Pozniak.

There is NO evidence that such a service ever existed (I've searched the internet for it.)

So was it ever a real service?

Hello,

The Acela "Light" was never a real service, but an interesting concept! The current Acela trains are a fixed 6-car consist, the only separation that can occur is at the end of the passenger consist at either Power Car. The only variation you will see sometimes is a 7th car which will be a telemetry car, looks just like any other Acela Business class car. It easily goes unnoticed at speed unless you're counting the cars!

EK

Quote Originally Posted by ekeating View Post
    Hello,

the only separation that can occur is at the end of the passenger consist at either Power Car.

EK
    Reminds me of that one time my friend's cousin's uncle was riding that acela which came apart between the lead power car and the rest of the train back in February 2018. Also, the wired thing is that he was playing MSTS on his laptop using his modified acela to do the exact same thing (although he did the MSTS Version 5 minutes before the real thing happened). My friend's father was the Engineer on one of the trains who heard about it.

Anyway, how do they disconnect the power cars from the passenger cars? I thought the only ones that could open or close were the Janney couplers at either end of the trainset. To quote MSTS "The Cars in This Type of Train Cannot be Uncoupled." as is the case in real life.