Thread: TS Rock Island, GTW, CN SD40 Grain, and Ruel Sub

Default TS Rock Island, GTW, CN SD40 Grain, and Ruel Sub

Just a quick note to mention how the engine files from these sets involving dynamic brake-less locomotives needs to be modified to eliminate a section of the engine file. As long as these lines remain in the engine file, these locomotives will add dynamic braking force when they trail any dynamic brake equipped lead unit. And since they lack dynamic brakes, they should be contributing zero braking force during dynamic braking initiated by a DB-equipped leader. The rest of the engine file is correct, when they lead you cannot initiate dynamic braking, but when they trail, these incorrect eng files allows them to contribute dynamic brake force when they should not be.

This error began with the original CN SD40 grain set that came with the Flexicoil GP9s and grain boxcars, and kept propagating through any additional sets that came later, including the GTW SD40s, the Ruel Sub SD40s and GP40s, and now the Rock Island SD40s and GP40s.

The code that needs to go.

This is wrong because both trailing units are contributing force

This is correct, only lead unit contributes DB force.

Thank you very much for this. I'm currently working on a massive set of new OR physics (structured using lots of "include" files to make for cleaner OR-specific ENG files) with new Tractive Effort curves, Dynamic Brake curves (including standard vs. extended range and flat vs. tapered dynamics where applicable), so I will make sure to take note of this for the non-DB units...
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    I'm currently working on a massive set of new OR physics (structured using lots of "include" files to make for cleaner OR-specific ENG files) with new Tractive Effort curves, Dynamic Brake curves (including standard vs. extended range and flat vs. tapered dynamics where applicable)
    I know I've not talked about this at all outside of Discord, so most likely nobody here knows, but I've actually spent the last few months doing just that as a personal project.
    Currently, I have every last bit of TrainSimulations content I own (ie: a lot of stuff) converted to custom physics all around, including everything from diesel engines with gross horsepower per notch taken from emissions testing, to the distinction between extended range and standard range dynamic brakes (and even tapered/no dynamics at all) as appropriate for the unit at play, and I'm even to the point of modeling different locomotive air brake behaviors to represent the different types of relay valve which would be appropriate for a given model. And with all that based on real stats wherever possible. I also spent some time improving other things where I could, but the physics are the fun part.

Of course, nobody else has seen anything I've done, but to demonstrate my hard work, I will be reorganizing my files into a useable mod. I should have the Mullan enhancement pack on the library within the week, but I can send the files to those interested right now. (Granted, without documentation. I still have to write that up.)

I would totally be willing to work with the TrainSimulations team to incorporate such things into new content officially, as I can imagine that would save you from a lot of work and research time which I've already pushed through. Regardless of what happens, I will ultimately put in the work to convert future TrainSimulations releases anyway, whether that's for myself to use or for everyone to get.
    But does it have field shunts?