Thread: Milwaukee Road Iowa and Illinois Division Route

Default Milwaukee Road Iowa and Illinois Division Route

I am new to the forum and thinking of using Microsoft Train Simulator and wondered if there was a way to design the Milwaukee Road Iowa and Illinois Division from Council Bluffs,Ia to Bensenville,Il from 1977 I am not good at designing routes so I would need someone to do it I have plenty of photos and maps of the Milwaukee Road I can share thanks,Steve

Quote Originally Posted by milwsteve View Post
    I am new to the forum and thinking of using Microsoft Train Simulator and wondered if there was a way to design the Milwaukee Road Iowa and Illinois Division from Council Bluffs,Ia to Bensenville,Il from 1977 I am not good at designing routes so I would need someone to do it I have plenty of photos and maps of the Milwaukee Road I can share thanks,Steve
    Currently there is no route available publicly. It takes a lot of work and time to build a route. Ive been at a couple since 2005. Most people would suggest trying to do it , it will become easier as time goes on.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Steve,

I would be willing to set up the route for you, extract the terrain for normal & distant mountain terrain, and digitize the track. However that is around 400 miles +- and I would recommend that you start out by doing one of the sections, perhaps Bensenville to the Mississippi River and then once you finish that, expand it in a 2nd version to go on to the other end. Also, there are a number of large cities and towns on the line and these can take months, even years, to detail out, and the result does not add that much to the experience of running the route, so one thing one must do is DECIDE HOW DETAILED IT NEEDS TO BE. The east end could be very dense on details, so I recommend that you get a few of Robert Wirth's Santa Fe routes and study how he detailed them. Except for his eastern most route that goes into Chicago, Dearborn Station, he created routes with "Just Enough" detail.

Another thing. If you are just starting out, take time to create a small experiment route and use it to learn TSRE which is a much better editor than MSRE but does have a learning curve. After 16 years of using MSRE, I would have to "unlearn" a lot. I may be the only
    route designer that uses M-tracks, but I would recommend it's use because it gives you a much greater number of correct curve sizes
    and correct #15 & #20 turnouts. Definitely use X-tracks and NEW ROADS.

J. H. Sullivan

I have never been that good at designing routes and would appreciate all the help I could get the problem might be finding Milwaukee Road SD- 40-2s and MP 15 AC's bay window cabooses and Milwaukee Road rolling stock along with other railroads Thank You everyone for your help

There is a lot of Milwaukee Road rolling stock in the file library. Although much of it is related to
    the electric operation out west, I remember "F", "SD", and other types of diesels, as well as some
    steam, and there is also a correct corrugated side caboose and several freight cars. The passenger
    cars could be used for passenger trains that once ran on this line as well.