Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are SSD's this cheap nowadays?

Default Are SSD's this cheap nowadays?

I was looking at obtaining an exterior SSD, about 1TB in size. I saw this on the UK ebay page, but, it's less than £100, is that the price these days, or, is this something to stay well clear of, it isn't immediately recognizeable by me as being a well known commercial manufacturer???

Cheerz. Steve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axe-Memor...fa10%7Ciid%3A1
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Steve,

I see that Curry's / PC World have a Seagate equivalent for £132, also via ebay, so the one ou have quoted is not that dramatically out of line.

Rob.
    onen hag oll!

SSD production has been ramping up for the past year-and-a-half, and prices are going down. And though their prices haven't seemed to change, production of HDDs has been reduced, some manufacturing plants closing hard drive lines. That said, "spinning rust" is still in demand, especially for corporate IT where big, cheap data storage is needed.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Yes.
    SSDs are that cheap now a days.
    I built my son a new computer a couple months ago and I bought an Intel 1TB nvme SSD for $85.
    The first computer I bought had a 6GB HD that I paid $200 for as an upgrade. 25 years ago.
    Not sure about Ax Memory, looks like a European brand, but this drive has 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon UK. That's pretty good.

Randy

Thanks ever so much Gents, I'll try and grab it then.

One other question to you ''experts'', do you actually get 1TB of disk space to play with on these SSD's. When I got my portable external 500GB HDD I could only physically use 465GB, so, do I get the full volume to utilise on an SSD, please?

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Hi Steve,
    I've never seen an SSD in that format before so you need to be aware of how it "plugs in" to your PC. Even at that price, it's not cheap if you can't use it!!

Regarding available space, no, you'll not be able to use the full 1TB because the system needs space for its own use. As an example, my Samsung 250GB SSD has just under 233GB available user space.

Cheers,
    Ged

Stay Safe!!
    Last edited by slipperman; 06-29-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post

One other question to you ''experts'', do you actually get 1TB of disk space to play with on these SSD's. When I got my portable external 500GB HDD I could only physically use 465GB, so, do I get the full volume to utilise on an SSD, please?

From Quora: That being said, there is usually a difference in how storage is advertised and how a computer actually counts storage size. Advertisers use the metric system, but computers use binary. This mismatch means that a storage drive advertised as 1TB will show up in your computer as a 931GB storage drive. A fresh external drive will have all 1TB/931GB free.

Something else about those external drives: I bought a new Seagate one and they'd tried to make it super helpful by setting up a nice partition to use their proprietary back up software, which would try and run the first time you plugged it into your PC. I had no need of this crap and just formatted the whole thing to be completely empty.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    From Quora: That being said, there is usually a difference in how storage is advertised and how a computer actually counts storage size. Advertisers use the metric system, but computers use binary. This mismatch means that a storage drive advertised as 1TB will show up in your computer as a 931GB storage drive. A fresh external drive will have all 1TB/931GB free.

Something else about those external drives: I bought a new Seagate one and they'd tried to make it super helpful by setting up a nice partition to use their proprietary back up software, which would try and run the first time you plugged it into your PC. I had no need of this crap and just formatted the whole thing to be completely empty.
    Yes, I had something similar when I obtained my portable HDD a couple of year's ago, thanks very much for that reminder, and for telling me the volume will not be the whole 1TB.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I've never seen an SSD in that format before so you need to be aware of how it "plugs in" to your PC. Even at that price, it's not cheap if you can't use it!!
    Hi Ged, yes, I haven't seen an SSD like this before personally, either, I might opt for a squarer one from one of the better known manufacturers with the necesary accessories included, now that I know the prices are much cheaper these days, thanks for that advice.

Cheerz. Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    That's why there is another unit which actually reflects the "real" usable space: the Gibi/Mebi/kibibyte. For example: 500 GB advertised is 465 GiB usable space in Windows or other OSes displaying their units in binary.
    Most Linux distributions actually display the correct unit as GiB (in desktop userlands, not always in CLI, even when using human-readable units), while for Windows GB = GiB.

But anyway, returning to the affordability discussion: I just purchased a new system a few weeks ago and all storage is now SSD-based. The boot drive is a 500 GB Crucial MX500 in M.2 factor (but still with SATA-interface, no NVMe although the motherboard supports it) and my data drive is a 1 TB WD Blue SATA drive.

I'm still moving data around, and I already fear the 1 TB drive will be full in about a year's time. My previous PC had only HDD's in it, but both bigger: a 1 TB boot drive and a 2 TB data drive. The 2 TB drive still had around 55% free, so plenty of space to spare.
    But the price gap between 1 TB and 2 TB SSD's is still too big to go for the bigger one. And there aren't any capacities in between, whereas with HDD's one could get multiples of 750 GB (i.e. 1.5 TB, 3 TB etc).
    So I will have to move some stuff on archive/backup HDDs in order to keep enough space on the data drive..

Just another question on SSD's for you experts. Read write speeds are generally up to 540mbs, for both 500GBs and 1TB drives. I see the Samsung T7 has read/write speeds of about 1050mbs, would this be more useful for gaming, especially, if I have to go through the Steam platform for the train and truck simulators, my favourites right now, these faster drives are a little more expensive, but, if I need a faster speed then maybe this would be more useful for me, what do ya think guys and gals?

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-14-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: re-edit