Thread: Odd process in TSRE

Cool Odd process in TSRE

Colleagues,

Maybe one of you has seen and can answer this one.

I was adjusting some objects parallel to the track this morning, and all of a sudden TSRE took on
    a mind of its own, and started moving in a southeasterly direction. Nothing I could do would stop
    it, so I saved (maybe a mistake) and deleted the process.

When I went back in, I had a real deep hole, and a real high spike, where I had been adjusting
    the objects, so saving was not a good idea. I can fix that issue by regenerating the terrain in
    that one tile, or even less area using DEMEX & selecting the terrain tile.

So the question? What procedure will get one out of this unwanted motion, and can Goku come
    up with a prevention of it? I am using V0.698 version.

J. H. Sullivan

Hi,

I am curious too, it happened to me a few times, with the same version V0.698 and with older ones.

Michel

Hi Jerry,

Yes, there was/is a shape as I recall was US2Anderson that left a scene as you describe; a deep hole and a large spike reaching for the sky. I was leveling the terrain to the object and also aligining to the track.No run-away cursor when that happened so I was able to use the Ctrl+Z undo command.
    The run away cursor I have also experienced a few times but recovered control by using the 'Jump' commad button.
    BTW, this 'runaway' condition I've also seen in the MSTS route editor . . . many times!

All in all my experience with TSRE was a very positive (i rate it as A+) one during my 'training' on the PRR-East route rebuild.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Colleagues,

Maybe one of you has seen and can answer this one.

I was adjusting some objects parallel to the track this morning, and all of a sudden TSRE took on
    a mind of its own, and started moving in a southeasterly direction. Nothing I could do would stop
    it, so I saved (maybe a mistake) and deleted the process.

When I went back in, I had a real deep hole, and a real high spike, where I had been adjusting
    the objects, so saving was not a good idea. I can fix that issue by regenerating the terrain in
    that one tile, or even less area using DEMEX & selecting the terrain tile.

So the question? What procedure will get one out of this unwanted motion, and can Goku come
    up with a prevention of it? I am using V0.698 version.

J. H. Sullivan
    The movement can be brought under control usually by double tapping in the direction that it is taking place (i.e. if going up, double tap the UP key twice)

I have had the holes and peaks randomly appear as well, and reported it to Goku before. What I note is that they usually happen on tiles where the terrain was generated OUTSIDE of TSRE (ie DEMEX)

Anything generated with TSRE never showed this peak valley behavior

Fixing it is not too difficult using flatten with a small brush size and bring everything back to level. As usually the spike is just 1 point.

Every route that I have in my "bucket list", off-line storage, was created with DEMEX and this
    is the first time in several "runaway events" where the spikes etc. occurred. I also save my
    downloaded data, with which I created the terrain, so it was a simple process of de-selecting
    all tiles, and then selecting only the one with the issue - easy since there was a peculiar group
    of markers right at the spot, and then regenerating the terrain. I don't (deliberately) mess
    with terrain in TSRE and thus far only use it to align objects to the track or road. I am sure
    it is a better editor, but the use of low resolution, .hgt files is not good, so I prefer to use
    DEMEX with the 1/3 arc-sec.

J. H. Sullivan