Thread: Locomotives with in cab (dispatcher and detector) sounds

Default Locomotives with in cab (dispatcher and detector) sounds

I am looking for a specific locomotive (SLI, MLT, etc) that has a coding that enables in cab sounds. Since I have come up with an idea if there's a possibility of using WAV sounds that an train can touch a specific location where the hotbox/dragging detectors are located, it announces a WAV sound of "stop the train or no defects" etc. Since, I have a LOT of Conrail HBD-DED WAV recordings that I wanted to put into the Sim. esp the Horseshoe Curve and CR Indy.

Tried applying some changes into my Hyrail for that Conrail radio, it works successfully..Now, next step is the hotbox/dragging spot for it.

Thanks
    Dave Edwards

Dave,

After running Jeff Farquhar's Surfliner 2 route and now his UP Cima Sub, I've noticed that he includes detector audio in his routes.

Full disclosure, I'm not sure how it all works (I'm no route building ace by any stretch). But based on what I can deduce, when the head end of the train passes over the detector box it will trigger the audio which is in the route. The wav file includes about 20-25 seconds of dead air prior to the actual detector broadcast, simulating the train completely passing over the detector and lag time between the last car passing the detector and the broadcast. Since this sound is in the route and not an individual locomotive, it can be heard in any locomotive used, internal or external.

EK

The majority use sound sources that have a ton of dead air on the beginning part of them, with a broadcast after. The only problem is that the sound source method is totally independent of train speed, and will play the audio before the train has fully passed if it's moving slowly.

I do think some sort of interactive to set at a detector (could also work for things like slide fences, high-water detectors, or even some newer QZ'd crossings) to broadcast radio messages at a certain time. In the case of detectors, it could also announce the presence of defects in said train, as OR can, I believe, generate defects from time to time

Thanks for the input folks, Checked out the HBD-DED sounds on Yoder's Horseshoe Curve route, there are NS detector recordings there. so I will study around that area and make an idea on how to use it.

Thanks
    Dave Edwards

I would suggest studying the Ruel Sub activities as to how detector sounds can be inserted into activities using ORTS specific location triggers. No need for dead air as trigger location can vary depending on train direction or length of train.

Hmmm... Thanks Geepster... That just clicked my head..

Will do that..

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I would suggest studying the Ruel Sub activities as to how detector sounds can be inserted into activities using ORTS specific location triggers. No need for dead air as trigger location can vary depending on train direction or length of train.
    Dave Edwards

On the MSTS platform, payware routes such as West Colton and Seligman used a very interesting system involving either disguised (Bushes in the case of West Colton.), or invisible WAG files, with specific SMS files attached to them to play in-cab sounds at specific points.

When a train was near these sound generators, the relevant sound played in the cab view. It works rather well.

Sometimes these would play random chatter, sometimes they were used for more interesting purposes, such as hot-box detectors or to start a track-warrant radio conversation. West Colton even had a setup where you could end up with a hotbox and have to stop your train.

Problem is, these require a very specific setup, and need to be placed in activities for them to work.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.