Thread: Transcon - Super Chief 1959

Default Transcon - Super Chief 1959

Well, completed the trascon...At least the LA to Chicago using the Superchief activity pack posted on Elvas Tower. I really started with a run up the Coast on Surfliner route, duplicating at least the route of the San Diegan connection to the Super Chief. I used a 1959 timetable to define all the times for the SC. I also added opposing traffic. (Had to delete some of the static "loose" consist as defined in the Activity and had to create some opposing paths, but it was a learning experience. I timed this to be a December run, so used the "winter" setting on the activities. I used the 3dtrains version of the Super Chief as the player, but used the activity supplied El Cap, Grand Canyon and other opposing trains. All in all it was an interesting trip. Thanks to Bob Wirth for his excellent routes...Wish he had completed the "racetrack" between Chicago and Galesburg....but I'll take a shot at Track layout...using TSRE as a learning experience. Also wished Bob had done the Pan Handle Sub, then we could see how a Southwest Chief reroute would work as BNSF wanted. Anyway, thanks to motor1 on Elvas Tower for his activity packs. The modifications and editing using TSRE's Activity Editor as well as OR's "Track Viewer" for path editing was very educational. Attached is the meet between Super Chief and the Grand Canyon just west of Joliet on the Chillicothe Subdivision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s_cXIoIZxY

Quote Originally Posted by amtrak115 View Post
    Well, completed the trascon...At least the LA to Chicago using the Superchief activity pack posted on Elvas Tower. I really started with a run up the Coast on Surfliner route, duplicating at least the route of the San Diegan connection to the Super Chief. I used a 1959 timetable to define all the times for the SC. I also added opposing traffic. (Had to delete some of the static "loose" consist as defined in the Activity and had to create some opposing paths, but it was a learning experience. I timed this to be a December run, so used the "winter" setting on the activities. I used the 3dtrains version of the Super Chief as the player, but used the activity supplied El Cap, Grand Canyon and other opposing trains. All in all it was an interesting trip. Thanks to Bob Wirth for his excellent routes...Wish he had completed the "racetrack" between Chicago and Galesburg....but I'll take a shot at Track layout...using TSRE as a learning experience. Also wished Bob had done the Pan Handle Sub, then we could see how a Southwest Chief reroute would work as BNSF wanted. Anyway, thanks to motor1 on Elvas Tower for his activity packs. The modifications and editing using TSRE's Activity Editor as well as OR's "Track Viewer" for path editing was very educational. Attached is the meet between Super Chief and the Grand Canyon just west of Joliet on the Chillicothe Subdivision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s_cXIoIZxY
    I think what you're looking for is via the Hereford sub, and Waynoka sub isn't it?
    Either way, sounds like a bunch of fun. Bob indeed gave us some great routes!
    I'd over the 'racetrack' honestly like to see the original LA section between San Bernardino, Pomona, and Passadena rather then the unprototypical Super Chief route of Cajon Pass. IIRC, the only thing that traveled that was the Grand Canyon Limited.

I stand corrected Sir, you are correct what I was looking for is contained in the Hereford and Waynoka Sub. I kept looking for a BNSF Sub called PanHandle which is probably the Waynoka sub.....
    As for the Passadena, I wish that was true also....

If by the 'racetrack' you are referring to the Burlington route between Chicago and Galesburg, that is a relatively recent development for Amtrak. Certainly, back in 1977 when I rode the Southwest Limited (as it then was) from Chicago to Trinidad it was Santa Fe all the way. For 1959, Bob has created everything you need for the California Santa Fe trains, other than the loop via Great Bend and from Barstow to LA. The route via Great Bend was used by the Grand Canyon and the current route from Barstow to LA is in the various Cajon Pass routes. The line from San Bernadino to LA used by the majority of Santa Fe trains is currently missing in action, however.

One day, perhaps......
    onen hag oll!