Thread: P32-acdm

Default P32-acdm

Why is there no rear door on the P32-ACDM.

Back in 2014, I took a trip on Amtrak and I saw a P32AC-DM and there was no rear door on the end of it.
    What is the purpose of the LACK of a rear door on the engine.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly why they don't have it - but we can assume a couple reasons.

-Security. The chance of anyone breaching the locomotive from the passenger compartment is zero.

-Multiple units hooked together make it pointless anyway. With the exception of a few modified units, there isn't a front door either, so for any consist with more than one Genesis unit, even with a rear door, engineers can't access the passenger area anyway.

-Not necessary. There's not really a reason for the crew to be mingling in the cabin when the train is under way - they have their own bathroom and likely bring their own food, like any other locomotive crew. Why have a door if it won't be used and produces more maintenance cost and points of failure?

Basically, I don't know why ANY of the Genesis units have doors out back.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    I don't think anyone really knows exactly why they don't have it - but we can assume a couple reasons.

-Security. The chance of anyone breaching the locomotive from the passenger compartment is zero.

-Multiple units hooked together make it pointless anyway. With the exception of a few modified units, there isn't a front door either, so for any consist with more than one Genesis unit, even with a rear door, engineers can't access the passenger area anyway.

-Not necessary. There's not really a reason for the crew to be mingling in the cabin when the train is under way - they have their own bathroom and likely bring their own food, like any other locomotive crew. Why have a door if it won't be used and produces more maintenance cost and points of failure?

Basically, I don't know why ANY of the Genesis units have doors out back.
    It’s really weird Seeing that too, especially on the post 9/11 built Genesis Engines. As for what you posted regarding the security part, it is unlikely that a terrorist would want to hijack a train.

The reason why some Genesis engines have the rear door is because if the engine is damaged in an accident and the front escape hatch is busted or even nonexistent, and the doors on the sides are jammed and the roof hatch is busted and blocked, the. The only way out is through the engine room and the rear of the locomotive. Also if the train is derailed and in trouble and can’t back out of it, the engineer can run to the passenger cars and disconnect them from the engine and have a rescue train haul them clear, but then again, with the fuel tank built up inside the frame, the engine room is the last place any son of a gun and wants to be in an accident.

The P32-ACDM is fairly unique in having the rear window for the hostler cab, used for shunting:

(it also has a hatch on the front for evacuation if in the Park Avenue Tunnel in NYC)

Normal P42DC rear door:

The thought occurs that the P32-ACDM is operating over fairly short commuter routes (and the Maple Leaf/Adirondack) and as such isn't likely to be run in multiple? Thus the need to transfer to another loco on the rear wasn't as necessary as the hostler controls.