Thread: Microsoft Train Simulator v1.4 crashing on Startup (Windows 10, AMD Radeon RX 480)

Exclamation Microsoft Train Simulator v1.4 crashing on Startup (Windows 10, AMD Radeon RX 480)

Hello everyone. If this is a topic that has been posted before, I do apologize for bumping it.

Recently, I wanted to get back into playing Microsoft Train Simulator on my new PC. However, the game crashes immediately on startup, with the error "Microsoft Train Simulator v1.4 has stopped working.", despite having done everything that Steam4Me says to do in order to launch the game.

I have also researched through numerous posts on this forum, as well as other sites, that MSTS is not very keen on running with AMD graphics cards, but can be fixed by running the AMD Bug Fix utility. I ran said utility that patches the atiumdag.dll file, but that didn't seem to work for me either. So I'm not really sure if the problem is with Windows, the graphics card, the registry, the game itself, or something else that I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Here are my system specifications if anyone needs them:

System Model: Acer Aspire GX-785
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Total RAM: 16GB
    Processor Type: Intel i7 Family 6 Model 158
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 480

If anyone can help resolve the issue, great! If not, that's OK as well.

Have a good weekend!

Figured it out, and got it working, using DgVoodoo 2!

Hi Mattyshoes. Mine does not work either. What is DgVoodoo and how does it work.Greg.

DgVoodoo 2 is a graphics wrapper. You can follow this thread by csantucci, which gives you all the information you need to get MSTS working with no nVidia board:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...graphics-board

Hope this helps!

- Matt.

Try Open Rails. Brian

Hi, the fix for atiumdag.dll still works but you need to apply it before installing the AMD driver.
    Search for "msts-amd-bugfix.zip" in the file library.

- Download driver setup from https://www.amd.com/en/support
    - Run the executable, wait for it to unpack and then CANCEL setup
    - Navigate to C:\AMD\<driver package name>\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\<build number>
    - Copy MSTS_AMD_BUGFIX.exe to this folder and execute to apply patch
    - Install driver by running C:\AMD\<driver package name>\Setup.exe
    - During installation, accept the warning about installing unsigned drivers

Quote Originally Posted by 123mattyshoes View Post
    DgVoodoo 2 is a graphics wrapper. You can follow this thread by csantucci, which gives you all the information you need to get MSTS working with no nVidia board:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...graphics-board

Hope this helps!

- Matt.
    I run OR but I have some other older games that the recommendation is to get DGvoodo2. I downloaded it and when I tried to run it my antivirus went crazy. There are so many sites that download corrupted and infected software and I was concerned about it and deleted it. Actually my antivirus did it for me. I didn't want to disable it for something I wasn't sure of.

I assume this is safe because others have successfully used it.

Is this safe? and what is the safe place to get it?

Thanks
    Basil