Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles

Yes, that's the one! I had the weird performance issue to start with (lots of tweaking to get it to even run above 10fps) and even then I still had no clue what I was doing once everything was running smoothly.

I don't really have the space or setup for serious flight simming right now - we have a two bedroom condo, and my 'mancave' became a nursery a year ago

I have a decent-ish joystick (it's ancient, though... a Cyborg 3D Platinum USB that I bought specifically for the Battle of Britain map in Battlefield 1942... yes, it's THAT old) at least.

Maybe in a few years when we move to a bigger place, I can look at trying them again. For now, the most flight I get tends to be in ArmA3.

Thankfully i never had any problems running COD and of course the Blitz edition, improves on a lot of the original faults and bugs.

All i had was a joystick Steve, no money for all these fancy add ons. I would like to get Track IR, to use with the flight and truck sims.

I am slowly saving the money, while still being able to grab the odd game or dlc.

Boy or girl buddy, 2 boys and 3 girls mine are, all grown up. The little one will be far more interesting than anything in a mancave.

Never played Arma 3, looked a bit technical to me. I prefer my killing more COD style. hehehehehe.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Girl, and yes, she's far more fun than any game. I will happily try and fit some gaming in around her naps, but it's mostly done once she's gone to bed at night. She loves watching us play Animal Crossing and Tetris 99, and is also a big fan of Riff Racer (a music game on Steam that uses your MP3s to generate Tron-style tracks) because of the cool colours and daddy's music collection. All my games have to be stuff that I can pause and/or save at a moment's notice for her.

ArmA3 isn't *too* technical, but then, I cut my teeth on the 2001 original (OpFlash) so the interface is second nature now. The great thing about it is just how much there is to do. Beyond infantry you have your wheeled and tracked vehicles, boats, rotary and fixed wing aircraft, and even some drones. My friend and I enjoy the air support missions, where you fly a transport or armed helo around a warzone, answering calls for transport, CAS or medevac as they come up. All the units on the ground are AI controlled and will pursue the objectives on their own. You get very good at quick landings and dust offs!

By the time I can play proper flight sims again, MS Flight Sim will be out and I'll almost certainly have the new PC needed to run it!

What j'stick do you use, Mike?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I don't have one at the moment Bruce. I did have a Sidewinder 2 which was excellent. But that went belly up on me a few months back.

Ordered a new one on Saturday, waiting for delivery buddy.

Nothing special, but good reviews.

THRUSTMASTER - T-16000M FCS https://www.helisimmer.com/reviews/t...m-fcs-joystick

Cannot expect miracles for £59.99

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Nice one in regards your little girl, Steve. Yup great fun now buddy, but wait till she gets to 15 - 16 yrs old.

Arma 3 sounds quite good, versatile anyway with all the different combat modes.

I was just reading about the new MS Flight Sim over on the IL-2 Great Battles forum. Some videos there as well, looks really nice graphics wise. Nice flaming price for the full monty, 119 Euros or something i think it said.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    THRUSTMASTER - T-16000M FCS https://www.helisimmer.com/reviews/t...m-fcs-joystick

Cannot expect miracles for £59.99

Mike.
    Jesus! That's AUS$275 down here!
    For that price I'd expect water to be turned into wine, mate!

For another AUS$500 I can get a VR unit and not worry about a joystick at all.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Not my fault your currency is worth less than the german mark, under the Weimar Republic Bruce.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Many, many moons ago I bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS kit.....may have been one of their first such versions.
    It was excellent, so I should buy another once FS2020 hits the streets.
    I have narrowed my choice to this model, which I can get for AUS$155

_X4Fhotasx.jpg

Nice Bruce, there is a HOTAS version of the one i ordered, but i couldn't afford it.

I converted my £59.99 price to Aussie dollars and it is only AUS$107.98

So how come it is AUS$275 in your reckoning buddy ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd