Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oh, most definitely!

And Lucasarts "Their Finest Hour"......

Attachment 80148
    Yes, that was another good one! Rowan did their own follow-up, Battle of Britain, with the same mix of strategy and flight.

Mike.....this post is a bit late, but have you got IL-2: Tank Crew?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yes buddy, but not installed at the moment.
    Yma O Hyd

I'm downloading it right at this moment and I've bought it based simply on the feedback that it has received, even tho' in early access.

I was going to ask you what you think of it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

It's been in early access for a long time Bruce. But it is far more complete now and in a more advanced stage of development. Than when i purchased it in March 2019. The only reason it is not installed here. Is because i own all the modules, except Normandy. So it installs the whole lot and i am not very good at the flying side of things. So i tend not to play those modules, which is a waste of SSD space in my eyes.

All aspects of the Il2 Sturmovik Great Battles series are excellent, buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ...... it installs the whole lot ......which is a waste of SSD space in my eyes..
    Yeah....I only realised that when it was downloading some 26Gb!!
    But of course unless those modules are paid for they are inaccessible.

It looks bloody good - the graphics at high rez are excellent and the detailing of the vehicles is really superb, Mike.
    They now have added the crew to each position in the tank....apparently that wasn't part of the initial release.

I tried it last night for a little while, just off-line and on a simple introductory mission, but am having difficulty in working out the controls.
    There doesn't appear to be a manual anywhere in the game's folder and the key-bindings are not intuitive.
    There is a keyboard guide but I need a printout. Will have to browse for something.

Anyway, it looks good and will make a change from trains and as I have not (yet) bought FS2020 I need something fresh to keep the grey matter sparking!

Exactly Bruce, big download just to play Tank Crew.

Anyone into WW2 land warfare it is excellent. Some good mods and a couple of free campaigns on the forum.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum...vik-tank-crew/

Also i know it doesn't interest you buddy. But if the other modules are owned. Then you can play the tanks on those maps as well.

I don't know of a manual sorry Bruce. But you can re-map all the keys to your own preferences.

I have become tired of and bored with train sims. 90% of the output is modern era, which just does not interest me.

I might give Il2 a re-install and possibly purchase the Normandy module. As i believe that will include air and land warfare.

Enjoy buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Thanks, Mike.
    I checked out the forum for info on the UI and it seems that many people are dissatisfied with it, particularly for joystick operation.
    This has to be one of the most non-intuitive user-interfaces I have ever come across: written on Cyrillic keyboards for users of Cyrillic keyboards!

I know that the keys can be re-mapped to suit (to a certain extent......and also using JoytoKey app is recommended) but why on earth didn't the devs stick with what has become an industry standard (WASD, etc)?

Anyway....I'm gradually becoming accustomed to this East European weirdness!

Hahahahahahaha, just drive the tank already

Since i last had it installed, going to chuck it back on now. I believe they have introduced mouse control for the turret operation.

I don't know what JoytoKey app is sorry. I tend to use keyboard for tanks and joystick for aircraft.

Hehehehehehe, East European weirdness, is nearly as bad as Auzzie weirdness. We will still drive on the left, but change to dollars and adopt the European metric system.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

If like myself you are not much into MP, Bruce.

You might find this enhances your single player experience.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...for-tank-crew/

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd