Thread: MG Versions - Access Denied - OpenRailsLog.txt

Default MG Versions - Access Denied - OpenRailsLog.txt

Carlo,

This problem has suddenly appeared when running any MG version in Windows 7. It does not appear in any non-MG version
    nor in any MG version in Windows 10. There have been no updates in Win 7 for quite a while.

"A fatal error has occured and Open Rails cannot continue.
    System.UnauthorisedAccessException: Access to the path C:/Users/Brian Hook/Desktop/OpenRailsLog.txt is denied."

Any ideas what is causing this?
    Regards,
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Problem solved.

My thanks to Marek and Chris.
    Marek`s advice and Chris`s suggestion both pointed to the Antivirus software as being the culprit.
    Indeed it was. I use AVG which has a protected folder option. One of these folders listed as protected was the Desktop.
    After removing the folder protection the MG versions 62 and 68 both work perfectly.
    Probably a recent update of AVG added the protection for this folder.
    Thank you both and I hope this procedure will help fellow simmers with a similar error.
    Brian.

I am also using AVG and have had this very same problem for a long time.

Could you be so kind as to supply the details of how you solved this problem.

Fred

Hi Fred,
    I am using AVG Antivirus Free in Windows 7 but all menus are probably identical.

Left click on the AVG icon on either your desktop or the tray.
    On the menu screen left click on the square on the left - Computer.
    On the next screen left click on the square Ransomware Protection.
    You now see a list of folders protected by AVG.
    Hover over the one called Desktop and left click on the cross on the right and Desktop will disappear from the list.
    You now have turned-off protection for all desktop files.
    I am assuming that your OpenRailsLog.txt is in this folder, if not choose the folder it is in and delete it.
    Regards,
    Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm. I am using the payware version of AVG and Windows 10 but the menu is the same.

I am a little uncomfortable with the thought that my desktop is unprotected from ransomware.

Fred

Brian.
    Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm. I am using the payware version of AVG and Windows 10 but the menu is the same.

I am a little uncomfortable with the thought that my desktop is unprotected from ransomware.

Fred,
    I agree with you, however, before this message appeared your desktop folder was not protected by AVG but nothing happened as the rest of AVG and the Win 10 Defender were active to block threats.
    Unfortunately 100% security is not realistic. Regular restore points are a good idea.
    Cheers,
    Brian.