Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    But i was only pulling your leg, i thought you knew that by now. ....
    I do.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Cool

I purchased the new Normandy module earlier for Il-2 Great Battles.

I can't be bothered with all this civil aviation flying and no shooting down other aircraft.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    That is almost word-for-word from a friend of mine on another (flight-sim related) forum, Vern.
    He has spent almost four hours in total in the sim and much of that time was setting up the joystick and key bindings.
    Yet there are fanboys at all the various forums who swear they are having no issues and it's all the users' fault for having poor quality hardware or not knowing how to set up a controller. Does that remind us of anything...?!

There is potential there but at best this is early access level and at worst a lemon (if it receives lacklustre attention from third parties), unfortunately a £60 lemon so if anyone wants to try I definitely recommend the gamepass option.

Back in for another session of try and tame the inputs...
    Vern.

From what i understand Vern. The game sets up your joystick for you.

No first hand experience obviously, no massed machine guns or cannons involved.
    Yma O Hyd

Check out the article in the Guardian about the new sim
    https://www.theguardian.com/games/20...box=1598001118

From that... Landing on the Melbourne Tower LOL!
    https://twitter.com/conorokane/statu...840576/photo/1

Seems like the non simmers are having a lot of fun anyway?!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Actually the solution to the joystick problem has emerged - you need to move (configure) the joystick and throttle through its motions while in the config menu, then save it. Shame Asobo didn't put a big bold note on the page to that effect! It means the flying bricks are a bit less so.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Actually the solution to the joystick problem has emerged - you need to move (configure) the joystick and throttle through its motions while in the config menu, then save it. Shame Asobo didn't put a big bold note on the page to that effect! It means the flying bricks are a bit less so.
    If memory serves me well that was the procedure for FS9 & FSX too? BTW your comment about fan boys set off more alarms than a few bells! LOL!

Talking of which the triumphal blurb that waxed lyrical about the old tutorials "flying through hoops" having been removed struck me as only the 2nd most stupid thing I ever heard from M$
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Worse than that, there's nothing to indicate what you should do, or how to activate the setting mode correctly. You have to pick the setting you want to assign, and then click in a blank "search" box -- but don't type in it! Just click the blank box, it turns gray, and then you can move the control or press the button you're assigning and it will then show up as assigned.

Intuitive, no?

The beta at least had a "scan" descriptor for the function. But nope, they took it out, I guess to make it look prettier.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Next up is to try and conquer the autopilot. On the GA aircraft you have an altitude setting and hold function which is fair enough, but there is a VS button with no corresponding dial to set the VS. Pitching the plane up to achieve a VS then hitting the VS button puts the aircraft into a steep dive!

Then I took my first look at the A320neo and really we need a manual or tutorial to walk through the autopilot. It doesn't activate like the old default FS9/FSX autopilot but nor does it work like the study level Airbus' in the other sims with pushing and pulling the knobs. Also not impressed while I was lining up at KSEA for take off, to have a 747-800 just pass through my plane on its takeoff roll. No collision detection or ATC separation there!
    Vern.

on the other the kids who probably wanted to crash planes for 2 hours then refund. That was killed off by the main file download occurring after launching the actual game, from Asobo, so the 4 hours or so counted towards your play time. So don't buy this unless you want to keep it.
    Well, that's a bloody swizz, how can the actual physical downloading of a game onto your hard drive count towards the time allowance to obtaining a refund, other games on Steam don't, it's a shambles.....

Anyway, I can upgrade my OS to WIN10 for free, but, I don't think my ageing computer will run everything as recommended, so, unsure whether to take the plunge with this, or, not, I think I'll wait awhile and let the dust settle before committing myself. I might even be able to get it at a small discount in the Steam Christmas sale......

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 08-22-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.