Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

To balance my earlier comments, things are starting to come together a bit now.

Part of it is a culture thing, having got used to how just about every previous incarnation of FS did it. The autopilot is an example - just about every aircraft used that old "Acme" autopilot and throttle, now we have a more correct rendition of how it is integrated at least on the GA aircraft (still haven't played with the jets much).

With five days experience there's also something of a "Mutual Improvement" class (like the old enginemen) getting going with users finding the bits Asobo didn't tell us and posting up information.

After my slight negativity a day or two ago thought it worth posting the counterpoint.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    With five days experience there's also something of a "Mutual Improvement" class (like the old enginemen) getting going with users finding the bits Asobo didn't tell us and posting up information.
    As a technician there's been a longstanding technician/engineer joke:-

"As a last resort RTFM (Read the %$&!Z} manual)"

There are two waivers on this of course?
    One : There HAS to be a manual in the 1st place!
    Two : The manual HAS to cover the issue you're not seeing intuitively.

If Asobo's literature is lacking that just makes them the latest of a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG line of previous failures from all sorts of producers.

Luckily "T'Internet" (Brit Joke) comes to the rescue so often nowadays with forums, how to Videos etc. etc.

Perhaps whoever wrote the manual should be reading this stuff and updating the OFFICIAL manual?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ......With five days experience there's also something of a "Mutual Improvement" class (like the old enginemen) getting going with users finding the bits Asobo didn't tell us and posting up information.

After my slight negativity a day or two ago thought it worth posting the counterpoint.
    Maybe that's why games producers don't get into doing comprehensive manuals anymore, Vern; they save money and rely on social media to educate the buyers.
    (That's why I bought the Fallout 4 book. It provides a wealth of information not available anywhere else).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon;1972710
    [I
    (That's why I bought the [/I]Fallout 4 book. It provides a wealth of information not available anywhere else).
    Wikis exist largely to compensate for this, BUT, in their determination to be interlinked and comprehensive, you can often learn about other features you'd probably have enjoyed more if you discovered yourself, while just trying to look up one thing.

Not aided by the fact that information is spread across multiple places (many devs are in love with Discord, so that's somewhere else to check on top of Steam forums, their own forums, and Wikis) so finding solutions becomes a full time job. Just the other day I learned that many controls in Derail Valley can be manipulated with the mouse wheel, something a dev just dropped into a random conversation. Never seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Question to all: How well does this work with an Xbox gamepad? No way will I be able to play with a proper joystick right now. Even if it's with the pad for flight controls and still hitting some keys on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I can't be bothered with all this civil aviation flying and no shooting down other aircraft.
    Did you play the old versions of Flight Simulator? Up until FS4 there was the "WW1 Ace" mode where you'd fly the Sopwith Camel and shoot enemy planes... the enemy planes being a black wireframe obelus that flew sideways or backwards but you seldom got close enough to see in that much detail. Fun for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Well, that's a bloody swizz, how can the actual physical downloading of a game onto your hard drive count towards the time allowance to obtaining a refund, other games on Steam don't, it's a shambles.....
    Trainz says hello! The majority of my Steam playtime for Trainz 2010 was DLS downloads at 33.6 modem speed. A lot of the MMOs do this too (Planetside 2, Star Trek Online) but they're free to play.

Never played any flightsims up until around 5 years back Steve.

Never interested me before buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I'd say the handling of the new sim with an XBox controller is fairly good. maybe great -- but with some caveats. First, although I prefer an XBox controller to keyboard and mouse for most games, I have too many hours in prior MS flight sims with a joystick and pedals to even have the illusion that my thumbs are any good for flying an airplane. Also, I fly with virtually all assists turned off, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of them are enabled by default to specifically to improve the controller experience.

That being said, FSX always supported the XBox controller so it's nothing terribly new and ought to work fine. And since this sim is going to be available on XBox, good controller support is pretty much a make-or-break feature.

Grab that controller and have some fun!

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    I'd say the handling of the new sim with an XBox controller is fairly good. maybe great -- but with some caveats. First, although I prefer an XBox controller to keyboard and mouse for most games, I have too many hours in prior MS flight sims with a joystick and pedals to even have the illusion that my thumbs are any good for flying an airplane. Also, I fly with virtually all assists turned off, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of them are enabled by default to specifically to improve the controller experience.

That being said, FSX always supported the XBox controller so it's nothing terribly new and ought to work fine. And since this sim is going to be available on XBox, good controller support is pretty much a make-or-break feature.

Grab that controller and have some fun!
    Now you've done it... I might have to finally cave. I was never sure of pads either, until I played stuff like Apache Air Assault and IL2: Birds of Prey on the 360, as well as a lot of flying in ArmA2 with it (I saw some very good helo pilots who did it with KB+M!) and realized with proper setup of the two sticks, you could get excellent cyclic, collective and rudder control, to say nothing of a fixed-wing's controls, especially IL2 where you needed some rudder to help align your shots.

Thanks Eric!

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Trainz says hello! The majority of my Steam playtime for Trainz 2010 was DLS downloads at 33.6 modem speed. A lot of the MMOs do this too (Planetside 2, Star Trek Online) but they're free to play.
    Well, young man, I don't play multiplayer games point blank, freebies or payware, and ALL of my Trainz versions have been on disc directly obtained from Auran/N3V, since I first started playing the game with UTC back in 2003, so, I daresay you are quite correct in saying that Trainz is now on Steam, but, I'll never buy another version of the franchise.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Now you've done it... I might have to finally cave. I was never sure of pads either, ....
    I have been using a Logitech gamepad to fly in FS2004 for years.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0