Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I intend waiting for a few weeks....until the initial dust settles from the stampede. When I do place my order it will be for the disc package rather than a download; there's always something nice about discs and a manual.
    I saw on a You Tube video that there were approx. 10 discs in each package, however, it didn't state if you need a Steam account, or, a Microsoft Store account to log into first to install the game, I would imagine that customers would need to go somewhere to install everything, I doubt it would run straight off a set of discs, that might take over an hour to install on your computer, what do ya think???

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Steve....
    It installs from the discs and then a one-off verification/registration.
    From then on the sim can be played offline but if real-world weather etc is required then the player will need to be online. Ditto for updates.

From the web.....
    ====================================
    The physical package will include over 90GB of data, the bulk of which are graphical assets for the airplanes and detailed ground scenery in the game. After installing the game from those discs, players will still be encouraged to download update files to the simulation itself, as well as stream copious cloud-based data like high-res satellite photos, geographic details, and live weather updates for an even higher level of realism.

"This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential,"

Aerosoft community manager Mathijs Kok
    wrote in a forum thread discussing the physical edition. "If you use the sim offline you get a world that looks a lot better than [Prepar3d] or X-Plane, but you will miss the full high-def coverage of the world with a photo base and all that goes with it (correctly placed trees, etc.)," he added later.

Including all that streamable data in a physical package "would mean not 10 DVDs but thousands of DVDs," Kok said.

Despite all that online-exclusive data, though, Kok added that "the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower Internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content.' So the simulator is in every way 100% the same. The boxed retail version just gets you a nice box, printed manual and about 90GB you do not have to download."

====================================

As one who really enjoyed the days of discs and thick manuals I will have no qualms about installing from 10 DVDs.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

One thing which I plan on doing....hopefully.....is to use FS2020 to recreate and upload some of the Flights I did in FS9/FS2004.
    I am intending to try and recreate all the flights I have taken over the years, the first one ever was Copenhagen to Heathrow in 1982. After 10 days rail travelling around Northern Europe and Scandinavia, I just couldn't take the prospect of 11 hours sat on a hard DB seat back to Hook Of Holland and a night of people spewing up next to me on the 7 hour ferry crossing to Harwich. The two hour flight was much more pleasant, £150 well spent!
    Vern.

As someone who flew in the UK for 13 years with a PPL I would like to comment that for anyone wanting to enjoy light aircraft the REAL UK weather leaves much to be desired!!!! The balance of hours flying to hours sitting drinking cheap instant coffee in the club portacabin whilst you waited for a front to pass or the cloud base to lift must be pretty damned close!!! There has always been two reasons many UK pilots wanting to turn their passion into a career headed "over the pond".... 1) cheaper hourly cost. 2) longer periods of better weather.

Of course real world regulations don't apply in Flight Sims. VFR, IMC (you don't have that) or IR "ratings" don't apply LOL!

However there's little point in setting off for a low level flight in a single where the reportedly impressive scenery can be appreciated.... IF you're actually flying through a thick cloud bank?!?!

I have to say I completely agree with Eric's post #49. For starters I'd want to know that not everything newer that the Piper Cub has a glass cockpit? Those of us who learnt to fly using "proper" instruments don't want to be jockeying around in a C172 with a Jet Jockey glass screen in front of us LOL!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Microsoft has been publishing the list of aircraft included in each version of the sim in the FAQ on their web page. At the very least, you can get some Cub variants, the Pitts Special, and various GA planes including a Cessna 152 with steam gauges in the standard version of sim. But to get a Cessna 172 -- probably one of the most common GA planes around -- with steam gauges, you have to buy the "Deluxe" or "Premium" version. There's a 172 in the base version, but only with the G1000 setup.

Maybe I'm just old, but that seems odd to me. Anyone who develops an interest in aviation who goes from the sim to the real world and pokes their head into the cockpit of a 172 is probably going to find steam gauges and maybe an added-on Garmin GPS unit. But the full Garmin class suite? Not likely in rentals or even flight schools except for a smaller subset of the fleet. Seems more appropriate to make the glass version part of the extra-cost packages.

But I guess the marketing department decided that the "wow-factor" of the glass version was more important. That, plus some rather desirable aircraft for long-time flightsimmers seem to be the "icing on the cake" to sell more of the higher-end packages.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

I guess the thinking is that later production (post 1996) models may have had these fitted? The two I flew one had the original Cessna beige panel and instruments nut the one I flew most was a Reims Skyhawk with a black panel and newer comms set. Our CFI (ex RAF Hunter Pilot) was totally anti ANY computerisation. His mantra was "Fail Safe" (and a bloody good one too!) and his argument was that if you knew where you were on a paper chart or by either VOR or ADF you could find your way to safety. Anything battery powered you'd be torn to shreds for even considering using!! LOL!

Of course all the latest GA aircraft come with glass cockpits (I believe?) and anyone wanting to simulate being a jet jockey will doubtless want to learn how all that works.

Never saw the attraction of simulating real flights that are 90% pre-programmed into a flight computer and flown on autopilot... usually above a total cloud cover of any surface features. I guess the detailed major airports are huge fun with all the support vehicles and AI aircraft but as I flew close to London we only had a 2500' ceiling most of the time and with 1500' clearance of built up areas that meant flying in a 1000' layer until we were well clear of London. Still each to their own?

Ironically all the best "wanted" aircraft for my Sim arrived just when real life made having time for it disappear. In short time just as I was "grounded" decent models of the An2, DH Beaver, DH Otter and a few other bush planes were released. I guess looking at how long it took them to arrive for FSX they'll not be priorities for FS2020
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    .....Seems more appropriate to make the glass version part of the extra-cost packages....
    I am in 100% agreement with your feelings on that, Eric.
    The 172 with analogue gauges has been the basis of Flight Simulator since the beginning and should be in the base package.

What MS have done is like Moses coming up with the Ten Commandments on a Kindle and telling the assembled multitude that if they want the traditional, cast-in-stone version, then they'll have to cough up a donation at the temple.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Steve....
    It installs from the discs and then a one-off verification/registration.
    From then on the sim can be played offline but if real-world weather etc is required then the player will need to be online. Ditto for updates.
    As one who really enjoyed the days of discs and thick manuals I will have no qualms about installing from 10 DVDs.
    Hmmm, well, thanks for that info; Bruce, if we have to stream real-world weather then it'll take a beefy machine to cope with processing everything, something that my ageing PC might not be able to cope with, I'll see what happens after release, I may need a new rig if I want to get serious again with flight simming, think I'd better get the guitar out for some serious busking.....

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

What MS have done is like Moses coming up with the Ten Commandments on a Kindle and telling the assembled multitude that if they want the traditional, cast-in-stone version, then they'll have to cough up a donation at the temple.
    🤣Made my day with that line!

The old, in-house developed Flight Simulator, descended from the SubLogic original, was made for aviation geeks. Paul Allen from Microsoft, also an aviation enthusiast, probably had something to do with setting it on that course.

In some ways, this new sim really is the ill-fated Microsoft Flight with its rough edges polished off and the missing whole-globe map to fly in. The marketing-based blitz is just beginning, and I remember that from Fight. More than anything else, that's what put-off so many of the dedicated Flight Simulator fans. All sizzle and no substance.

So now we do have substance. But the marketing hype is going to drown it out if they're not careful.

I wonder what the conversion rate from kids messing around with airplanes on the Xbox version to real aviation enthusiasts might turn out to be? I hope it turns out well -- I think it's something that aviation, both virtual and real, needs.

Now in all seriousness, I'm pleased overall with what I'm seeing in testing. It's a beta, and I know it. There are things that I really like. There are things that I'd like to see improved or added. There are things that need to be improved or added. But it's just a beta, so I know it's not going to be perfect. I also know well from beta testing that what I see isn't the final build, and many things can change and improve in the release.

I also know that this is Microsoft, and decades of experience tells us that V1.0 of anything is basically what we euphemistically call "Early Access" in this modern age. (We used to call it "Late Beta..." ) There will be updates and service packs -- oops, I mean "Feature Updates"...

But Microsoft will be getting my money, no doubt about it. Especially for VFR flying, the new MSFS is way ahead.

I'm not throwing out XPlane and FSX/P3D, -- They still have things I like about them. Maybe I'll even figure out if I can reproduce the saved flights from the old "FSX for Pilots - Real World Training" book in the new sim, at least for the GA lessons.

For any doubts about the Azure streaming, all I can say is that in Real Life these days I'm an enterprise Office 365 and Azure admin, among many other hats I wear. The Azure service may have its share of odd issues, but it's a very solid, capable infrastructure. It's been keeping up with near double the anticipated usage load ever since this COVID-19 epidemic pushed so many people to work from home. So I can safely say it can handle what the new simulator is throwing at it. If there are significant problems, it's going to be with the client software (the sim on your computer) and/or the specific services that are set up to talk to it. But if it's on Azure, then the Asobo guys should be able to spin up more instances to handle loads whenever they need to -- so again it's on them.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Eric,
    I'm pleased that I was able to make you smile......a requirement in these troublesome times.

And thank you for the comments and information that you provided in your following paragraphs. Good stuff to know.