Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Default The nitty-gritty on the physical version

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ....Not sure why you "Wannabe Boeing/Airbus Jockeys" are so excited?...
    You really are a wet blanket, aren't you?
    Stick with FSX, Geoff, and save you cache of cash.....FS2020 would be wasted on you.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    You really are a wet blanket, aren't you?
    Stick with FSX, Geoff, and save you cache of cash.....FS2020 would be wasted on you.
    ?????? I'm a wet blanket because YOU don't appreciate how much more fun Light Aircraft and Bush flying is? Well I guess you're entitled to your opinion. But hey...... Humour us...... explain how the enhanced scenery will make that much difference at 36000 feet? I for one sure hope it will at 2000 feet....... Oh and BTW I bought shed loads of scenery and weather enhancements when I was using FSX so I was actually really impressed with the trailers I saw.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Come on now boys, play nice.

Is TrackIR really good Geoff, worth the money i mean ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

..... explain how the enhanced scenery will make that much difference at 36000 feet?......
    It's not simply the enhancements to the scenery at ground level, Geoff. There is far more to FS2020 than just that aspect - as awesome as it may be.

For one, the weather and the depiction of same, whether at 3,000 feet or 36,000 feet and everywhere in between. I am, of course, including the depiction of clouds in the definition of "weather" in this context.
    That alone will transform the experience enough for many people, myself included, to buy the product sight-unseen.

I've been around Flight Simulator since its very first version, buying each new edition as the years rolled along.
    FS2004 was my favourite but I am sure that FS2020 will put that to rest.
    The new computer, 4K monitor and a new HOTAS system will help see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post

Mike.
    Well it was a long time ago now Mike. I got rather obsessed with FSX about the time that MSTS2 was announcing "World of rails" and "Autogen Scenery". I had a PPL and flew for about 13 years before other life pressures "Grounded" me. I had been really underwhelmed by earlier versions of MSFS and decided to try out FS2004 to see how it had progressed. By the time I bought FS9 it was a bargain buy. Then M$ closed Aces Studio so I thought I'd grab a copy of FSX before that became defunct. About that time they released an "all singing, all dancing" version of FSX (forget what they called it now) and I became hooked. It had improved so much, doubtless due to the abilities of the latest PC's. I splashed out LOADS of money on various enhancements, scenery, airfields and loads of small and "bush" planes.

I don't think I paid that much for it (compared to all the money I spent on other enhancements) but personally I found it one of the biggest steps towards the real pilots view that I found. Being able to view what you wanted to look at without any keyboard inputs was brilliant. Flying a circuit in a C172 requires a lot of concentration and activity so having nothing to do with your hands other that touch the required controls and switches and be able to look round to judge when to turn onto each leg. Even when you can do it "for real" replicating that in FSX was difficult but Track IR made that easy to Simulate.

I just looked and saw that it's now on Version 5 (?) so I've no idea what enhancements have gone into it. IMO the basic idea is good and I found it worked well with few glitches. I'd suggest a good read of the FS forums for a more "up to date" opinion though
    Geoff
    UK

Bruce,

To be coldly objective....
    1) Of course it's great to see a New Version.
    2) It's obviously a massive leap forward? but then it's over a decade since Aces Studio closed and computers have come a long way.
    3) Many FS fans have a massive investment in 3rd party add-ons. Some may be incompatible (or unnecessary) with the new verison?
    4) Will all previous Aircraft work in the new version?
    5) ....and this is true of ALL Sims..... There's no reason you can't have more than one on your box????

BTW just out of interest why (and you're not alone) did you not move your affection for FS9 to FSX?
    Geoff
    UK

I'm a wet blanket because YOU don't appreciate how much more fun Light Aircraft and Bush flying is? Well I guess you're entitled to your opinion.
    Are you sharing my frustration at the protracted development of Deadstick?

Deadstick - Bush Flight Simulator

In Canada, we see bush pilots as folk heroes.

Alas, in the forums, a lot of toxicity has arisen due to the delayed release and lack of communication, with many now calling it a 'scam' or complaining that FS2020 will render Deadstick irrelevant. I'd still like to play both, same as I play Derail Valley and Diesel Railcar.

That looks interesting Steve.

Mike my favourite add-on when I last played FSX was the Sibwings BirdDog.

The video is low quality because the cockpit graphics are superb. BUT the reason for posting this link is that the Video seems to have been made using Track IR (although he doesn't credit it.

http://www.sibwings.com/birddog.php

Check out the Stills because they are better quality. You can almost smell that cockpit!
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post

Mike.
    I use TrackIR in FSX, and it's nice having your view follow your head, rather than messing about with view pan/tilt/zoom controls even with a hat switch on a joystick. It also works beautifully in ETS2/ATS, and a lot of other games. It's pretty common to have it supported in a lot of PC games with first-person view.

To me it seems silly for Asobo to hold back TrackIR support until they have VR working. Yes, maybe they want to tie the code together somehow, but not putting in at least the TrackIR base support is kind of boneheaded since FSX has been working with it for a dog's age.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info