Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

I decided to overfly the rail route I'm despatching in Simsig. Here's a couple of shots after turning south from Moss Vale towards Unanderra. It looks gorgeous although FPS takes a hit in exterior view.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I decided to overfly the rail route I'm despatching in Simsig. Here's a couple of shots after turning south from Moss Vale towards Unanderra. It looks gorgeous although FPS takes a hit in exterior view.
    Those "indicator" pop-ups are about as subtle as a bull in a china shop! Are they scaleable and can you change their position by dragging them? The Massive "analogue" compass is just plain ridiculous ! BTW are you using maximum resolution Vern?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I presume you can get rid of the HUD, Geoff but I haven't got that far yet. Two things missing from this version are, 1. the old "w" function to remove the cockpit mask in two stages, the basic instruments then completely. 2. A built in screenshot camera which would presumably remove the overlay. At the moment you have to use Windows Gamebar to do it.

Running at 4K, 3840 x 2160 yes.
    Vern.

That must be the Wingecarribee Reservoir and river. You're heading east, Vern, not south!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quite right Bruce, must be to do with everything being upside down below the Equator!

Re the HUD, yes you can disable this but only at the menu level, not off/on with a hotkey while flying.
    Vern.

Re the HUD, yes you can disable this but only at the menu level, not off/on with a hotkey while flying.
    That would seem to be a fundamental failing? Been available in many Sims since the previous century.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

The menu/key command structure of the new sim is completely different -- and while it may be a "clean sheet of paper" and undergoing refinements, it's getting called out as a significant deficiency by long-term MS Flightsim users as well as by new users who see it as too opaque and over-complicated.

The old sims laid everything bare in a set of keybinds and a series of Windows-style menus that rarely went any deeper than three levels. The new system is all based in categorized menus and separate keybind hierarchies which are often poorly-described.

Also, there's still no printed (or PDF) manual, which isn't helping.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

It was a convoluted process just to remap the "brakes" button to the trigger on my joystick, rather than one of the obscure keys on the side or base.
    Vern.

What?? Well, that's poor, surely, MS considered that the vast majority of flightsimmers would want to take screenshots whilst up in the air, and the amount of clutter on that screen is unbelieveably obtrusive, so, if you can't get rid of all those dials I wouldn't even bother taking screenies, and that's very frustrating, what a load of tripe.......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    What?? Well, that's poor, surely, MS considered ..........
    Steve, I'm getting the distinct impression, from what I'm seeing on various forums and YT, that very little consideration was given to the interface and most of the attention was directed towards the graphics.

Why, in God's name, do people insist on fixing things which aren't broken?!

It would have been a very simple matter to have just referred to the previous iterations of FSim and tweak the UI to improve it to whatever was seen over the past couple of years of FSX and FS2004 as being necessary.
    But no.....they go and change things which didn't need changing.

I have indefinitely deferred buying this.....maybe I never will.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0