Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

I can't let this "Nostalgia Binge" end without a mention of THE MOST (?) addictive Sim.....

SILENT HUNTER.

.......although as the title developed the "Eye Candy" became superb but the complexity of crew rostering, damage control and sheer survivablity once you'd launched an attack..... together with actually finding any targets in the first place, became rather frustrating?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Probably Gunship 2000 was my favourite, then the F117 Stealth Bomber. I also got a fair amount of mileage out of their F15 Strike Eagle II.

All three currently take up space on the HDD in my old HP Windows XP laptop, Vern.

When we had the house fire in 2017 and had to move out for three months it was that old laptop and its collection of games - including Grand Prix Legends, Trainmaster 4 and, of course, Flight Sim 2004 - that helped me retain what sanity I had.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

F-15 Strike Eagle II was fun, but you were CONSTANTLY dumping countermeasures as the entire world was firing SAMs at you.

F-19 and F-117A made life a lot easier, but it was still a little unrealistic in that you would fire one Maverick missile to destroy any entire target, regardless of whether it was a house or a sprawling industrial complex.

Gunship 2000 I spent hours playing... I remember the initial version made S&R missions very easy: the black "X" mark on maps that would indicate where you had destroyed something? It would accidentally include the one for the downed aircraft you were looking for! The patch (that came along with the Islands & Ice expansion pack) removed this but also gave your flight better AI so they could actively fly a search patter and pick up the downed pilot themselves, whereas before you had to do it personally (unless you got very lucky with a waypoint and giving the Blackhawk the "land" command using the map screen).

The manuals for these games were amazing, too. Huge amounts of background, both real and the game's fictional conflicts, for each region, and all the stats on the vehicles and weapons!

Actually although my memory is hazy, I don't recall Strike Eagle II being that hard. F16 Combat Pilot and Tornado on the other hand...

The other sim I played a lot, more of a game actually, was Strike Commander - Chris Robert's/Origin flight sim spin off from their Wing Commander games. You had to "buy" your missiles so inevitably ended up with useless Sparrows or Mk1 Sidewinders that couldn't hit a barn door at 10 paces, so you ended up in an endless turning circle with the enemy AI, trying to get a hit with guns.
    Vern.

Strike Eagle wasn't hard, no, you just pushed C and F more than anything else.

Strike Commander... now that was a game. It was, alongside Flight Simulator 5, the "killer app" that made people buy Pentiums when they first came out. Never mind that it had the worst fogging this side of Magic Carpet, it had a real, proper 3D cockpit that you could look around! It had hugely detailed cities for you to fly over! It really was something else, protracted development and PC-melting specs aside.

The whole business management thing was an interesting angle, you can see how it's divisive now in Derail Valley! What hurt my bank balance (and angered the comedy accountant) was the Mavericks. Trying some of the ground attack missions with just the rocket pods was a recipe for disaster or failure, trying to hit tiny pixelly tanks on the ground against a background of pixelly scrub. Oh well, there was also Gwen back at the base to look forward to. I got quite a long way into the storyline but it became a bit of a grind (and took up a ton of hard drive space) so I think I went back to TIE Fighter. I never got far enough to fly the F-22.

I've been digesting the videos on You Tube, it all looks very interesting. I would personally probably go for the middle version as the difference between that and the top end edition doesn't look like an awful lot more for an extra $30, I'll wait and see. It's unfortunate not to see a helicopter included as standard, however, my main problem is that I need Windows 10 and a hefty upgrade in my 6 year old computer to play this effectively, so, I will have to wait a while. But the full terrain scenery and weather look fantastic and to fly in all four seasons will also be brilliant, and having 20 payware aircraft and 30 payware airports at basic game release sounds intriguing, we'll have to wait and see how the flightsimming community react to all this when it's released, I'd better get a new supply of popcorn ready......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    .........we'll have to wait and see how the flightsimming community react to all this when it's released, I'd better get a new supply of popcorn ready......

Cheerz. Steve.
    LMAO! Yep.... always pull up a chair and sit back to read the rants and rages of those who simply MUST have "THE FIRST" release of "THE LATEST" or "THE NEWEST" software. I'm actually rather indebted to them..... they've saved me buckets of dough in the past. The only difficult bit is sifting through those disappointed by their own unrealistic expectations and those who've identified REAL and necessary glitches or needed fixes. Once you've filtered out "the good guys" you can follow their feedback on progress and updates.

My FSX has been gathering virtual moss for 10-8 years now. Real life yanked me away from the inordinate amount of time I was spending on it and moving house (this may puzzle those on t'other side o' pond Steve?) took out nearly 3 years. I even bought a new box especially for it (Mesh do some nice "Simulator Specials" btw Steve) but by the time the building work and decorating dust had settled my first return to Sims was Trains.

Well the videos are stunning so guess I need to revisit the fs.com and AVsim.com forums again too.
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    My FSX has been gathering virtual moss for 10-8 years now. Real life yanked me away from the inordinate amount of time I was spending on it and moving house (this may puzzle those on t'other side o' pond Steve?) took out nearly 3 years.
    Speaking as a Steve, not puzzled at all - 14 years in the UK with 6 of them on the railway. Not a fan of moving house at all so I would quite happily have taken three years to finish unpacking!

You boys are mad for this game. I don't see the fun myself, flying has to involved shooting things up, in my world.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Speaking as a Steve, not puzzled at all - 14 years in the UK with 6 of them on the railway. Not a fan of moving house at all so I would quite happily have taken three years to finish unpacking!
    LOL! Well actually thanks to a local removal firm the ACTUAL move itself was painless.... the unpacking more of an issue. The REAL hassles here are Estate Agents (Realty Agents that side of the pond?) and Solicitors (Lawyers your side.) To revise an old joke... Whats the difference between a fatal road traffic accident involving a dog, one involving an Estate Agent, or one involving a Lawyer? There are skid marks before the dog....
    Geoff
    UK