Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Thank you for taking the time to type all that out Eric, it was brilliant and fully understood.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    1. Or DVDs.
    Or floppies! Good old Sierra and Origin giving you a dozen 3.5" disks to slowly, painfully install. Luckily they also wrote good manuals to keep you busy...

Attached Images Attached Images

Floppy disk installs!

I had to re-install the beta test version over the weekend, and MS is having some kind of issue with the downloads being terribly slow. I started on Friday evening and it just finished late Sunday around midnight. The original download only took a couple of hours or so -- just start it off and go to bed, wake up and it's ready to complete the install, like a lot of larger games these days. So something isn't right with the download distribution for the beta at the moment.

Maybe they moved the files off onto floppy disks?

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

I can't remember the biggest game that came on floppy disc for me, probably TFX as by early '95 when I bought (rented, actually!) my first PC quite a lot of the bigger games were starting to appear on CD-ROM. That in itself posed a headache as when compiling the config and autoexc startup sequence you had to allow for the CD driver when allocating the memory.
    Vern.

Sierra was well aware of how big their games were getting (Roberta Williams often stated that her objective with their adventure games was to beat TV cartoons at their own game) and in Space Quest IV, circa 1991, you went into a software store where you found "King's Quest XXXXVII: The Quest For Disk Space". The joke was that the game was an unheard-of 12GB in size, with the cover art being a pile of disks not unlike above - I have calculated with help from online that it would require 8,532 1.44MB 3.5" floppies to hold 12GB.

Ironic, because SQIV was also one of their first titles to be re-released on CD-ROM with full voice acting, and another store in the shopping mall is offering the all-in-one 'CDGIROMTV' machine to allow you to play a number early 90s optical formats that looked shaky even then.

I don't know how many of you folks have a Bluray drive in your computers. I do, and I think I've used it maybe a dozen times (half of which for movies, maybe).

This is going to be a huge test of Microsoft's servers to stream all that beautiful scenery.

From what I've read elsewhere, what you will actually be streaming is data that tells the sim how to draw the scenery, rather than a host of custom texture files. So the bandwidth might not be that bad. I could be wrong, of course.

Anyhow just over a week to go, presumably only those buying direct from MS will get it on Monday, Steam purchasers will have to wait until Tuesday for it to unlock.
    Vern.

Talking about scenery, I watched this MS20 video last night from Squirrel on YouTube, he isn't my favourite gamer, but, the stream is in English and it features a lovely GA flight in Scotland which is a bit closer to home for me, and to know many of the areas personally in which he flew, however, it appears that some scenery items are only 2D, or, maybe even 1D, so, it isn't completely what folks might have been expecting, it's only for 38 minutes, so a watchable time for your interest, or, dismay, possibly, it all depends on your level of expectation......

Cheerz. Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BIw16jZZM
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Talking about scenery, I watched this MS20 video last night from Squirrel on YouTube, he isn't my favourite gamer, but, the stream is in English and it features a lovely GA flight in Scotland which is a bit closer to home for me, and to know many of the areas personally in which he flew, however, it appears that some scenery items are only 2D, or, maybe even 1D, so, it isn't completely what folks might have been expecting, it's only for 38 minutes, so a watchable time for your interest, or, dismay, possibly, it all depends on your level of expectation......

Cheerz. Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BIw16jZZM
    First recommendation turn the sound off !!!! Apart from the banal drivel I got to wondering how anyone who was a real pilot could have no idea where he was?! LOL!

It does show a lot of "features"...... BUT

BUT, if you want to look at UK Scenery probably best NOT to use REAL weather? Realistic if you want to fly it but pretty naff for showing off the scenery because dark, misty, rainy overcast rendered realistically is about as poor as it gets outside of IFR.

Also the glass cockpit reflection in the cockpit was impressive but helped even less!

Can you not adjust your seat height? Flying VFR it's quite a good idea to be able to see OVER the instrument panel.

Can you not adjust the pilot (or any other cam's) FOV? IF that had been set up properly we might at least have had a realistic perspective of the scenery

The 3D items not modelled or represented by block monoliths are a surprising omission? The one thing that ANY VFR chart will show and give height detail on is transmitter masts or tall chimneys. Lack of detail for the Forth Bridge is a little more understandable but even a "generic" suspension bridge would have been better than nothing?

Finally I'm confused at the choice of route, especially as he seemed to know little about the geography of Edinburgh, and why he didn't chose London which (lets face it) is going to be THE biggest demand on a PC's spec to render in high detail?

So far I've been rather unconvinced by some of the ground cover colour rendition too.

Perhaps someone will take a C172 for a spin over London? Amazing what better views you get from a high wing single!!!

PS MAYBE..... Maybe the issue is reviews best done by people who can criticise rather than Fan Boys?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    PS MAYBE..... Maybe the issue is reviews best done by people who can criticise rather than Fan Boys?
    Criticism does not mean negativity.
    To criticise something is to examine and give findings, whether plus or minus.
    It is possible to be both critical and positive at the same time.
    Unfortunately, over the decades, the term has become irrevocably linked to negativity.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bruce I did 4 years at Art School studying Graphic Design. From your 1st to last day the thing you are taught is to be critical. Not just critical of others work but also your own, WHICH BTW is criticised in front of all your fellow students by ALL present. One thing I don't need is lessons on Criticism.

That aside....

It has to be said that Squirrel (?) probably didn't set out to specifically show the scenery? He did show many other features of the new Sim but these would have been better illustrated if he'd set up some decent realistic viewpoints. BTW It looks like he was using Track IR?

Deciding to "Answer my own Question" I did a YouTube search and found a decent critical review of the London Scenery and another 40 minute video featuring US Cities.

Links on the boss's laptop so I'll edit this post with links in case they easily found using those subjects.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK