Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Having read comments from not only Vern but also from others, including a couple of friends on a small flight simulation forum, I am reluctant to spend a couple of hundred Aussie dollars on what seems to be a disappointing release........at this time.

So my purchase will be postponed indefinitely.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I went ahead and purchased it; but having been a beta tester I wasn't going in blind. I knew it was going to be like countless other Microsoft products at release -- Late Beta or "Early Access" quality. But as such, I like experimenting, so it's fun and worth it to me. I can continue to give feedback, and hopefully play a tiny part in improving it.

But I completely understand that not everyone wants a "project" -- it's far nicer just fire up the sim and fly. I stayed with FS9 for quite a while before moving into FSX for the same kinds of reasons. I had a solid FS9 environment; I didn't really want to spend all that time getting FSX tweaked and working tom my liking right away. And even now, I'm not uninstalling FSX, P3d, or X-Plane.

This time, though, I decided to get in "on the ground floor" as it were, and learn MSFS inside-and-out from the beginning. I've enjoyed working with Open Rails since its early days; it's kind of the same thing.

That, and I'm curious how it will work out on the XBox. I went ahead and bought from the Microsoft store (not Steam after all), since I'd had a chance to dissect how it's installed and running. This way I can play around with it on both platforms.

I'd give it another year to be considerably more polished. If they have their priorities straight, it ought to be optimized better sometime around the six- to nine-month mark. Maybe give it a whirl on an XBox Game Pass trial in a year or so.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Well guys I folded and rebought it. I figured better to be on the inside offering constructive feedback, than on the outside.

The issue I had with ground steering seems to have gone away - I turned off the rudder steering assist though that had been on previously when I didn't have the problem.

And I would only have ended up spending the money on some rubbish add on from DTG, or bought TSW2 and run the Bakerloo Line twice in each direction.

When MSFS2020 works, it works very well indeed. Just avoid the current problem areas such as autopilot and the big jets, until these are fixed.
    Vern.

Good god Vern you change your mind, even more than i do.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Good god Vern you change your mind, even more than i do.
    Nah.....that's just not possible.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Nah.....that's just not possible.
    That's probably true Bruce. I just went the other way and purchased TSW 2 Deluxe.
    Yma O Hyd

Well, I've just been reading the reviews on Amazon UK regarding this and it's getting a lot of stick about the installation procedure, folks have got so pissed off they've given up and the lack of customer support from Microsoft is absolutely deafening, lambs led to the slaughter springs too mind, glad I don't have it by the sounds of things.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Strangely I had no issues with my installation though I know that's not much consolation to those who have. I believe that is high on the list of things to patch, though it has gone quiet from MS as to when the first update will hit.

I'm just pottering around in the Cessna 152 or Icon, taking in the sights - might have a flight down the Nile later. Getting quite good at landing, too..!
    Vern.

The first patch will be out this Thursday.

Let's hope it doesn't break more than it fixes...
    Vern.