Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FSim 2020 release imminent.

Some additional information pertaining to Steam vs. Microsoft Store purchases of the new MSFS that I found on Reddit today. Someone put in a help request with Microsoft about the differences and got the answer in the attached screenshot.

In addition, I can say that by examining how the sim is installed, it's not natively a "Store" app. It's a full Win32 application that's being managed by the Microsoft Store for updates, licensing, and such. It follows the characteristics of that kind of application where it can store variable data anywhere you direct it to during setup. In other words, other than where it drops the launcher files and executable, you can configure where it puts addons and scenery. (And the install location of "Store" apps can be re-located later on if you want in Windows.)

Hopefully this adds some information for anyone trying to decide between Steam vs. Microsoft Store distributions.
    In the end, it looks like it really doesn't matter at all. It's a still a Win32 application not a "UWP" or "Store App", which is the most important part. It's just a choice of distribution platforms. The sim should run the same either way.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Very useful stuff. I know it says they share the same multiplayer environment - one of the great things about Steam is just selecting your friend and joining their game and it usually happens pretty seamlessly. If one were to buy the MS Store version and then "add non-Steam game" to your library, if that will still work. At the same time, some games seem to be enabled within the Xbox app in Windows 10 and will show up in there if you're playing them, so that could still happen even with the Steam version.

Well, I'm not too bothered about multiplayer personally, so, I will probably obtain the game from the Microsoft Store, they aren't likely to go bankrupt anytime soon, are they, so we should be able to access our games and whatever for the next 10 years, we just don't know where Steam/Valve will be in the future, and I have over 40 games already on my account at umpteen TBs of storage, so, to add this new Flight Sim is going to be a pain!!!

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Steam/Valve are extremely unlike to go bankrupt any time soon, either. They make billions in annual revenue and have stated that in the very unlikely event of something happen, you will still have ownership and access to your games.

Consider also that if they do somehow go under, having to rebuy MSFS is a minor problem among many others.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Steam/Valve are extremely unlike to go bankrupt any time soon, either. They make billions in annual revenue and have stated that in the very unlikely event of something happen, you will still have ownership and access to your games.

Consider also that if they do somehow go under, having to rebuy MSFS is a minor problem among many others.
    Not for me I don't buy anything from Steam LOL! BTW what Multiplayer events do you enjoy? I like singles, preferably bush planes, preferably small strips and Multiplayer is pretty irrelevant for that?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I only ever flew for VAs back in university. I considered VATSIM in later years (FS2004/FSX) but the learning curve for proper radio communication protocol I found too intimidating. I've played other flight-related stuff in multiplayer like Warbirds (showing my age) and the ArmA series, and can sort of see the appeal of there being other players in the world as opposed to the fairly predictable AI traffic. I'm not a fan of voice chat with randos and will opt out of any MP situation which insists on it.

I mentioned earlier that I had bought Ultimate Traffic for FS2004 and loved the way it brought the game to life with busy airports and traffic around cities following a realistic schedule. I think more than anything, a sim needs to feel plausible and alive, and taking place in a living world, though granted for bush flying you probably wouldn't see much of either! For MSFS my interest would be more toward some GA but also airliners.

The platform choice is a personal preference, my comment was more that choosing the MS store because of the perceived risk of Steam going under wasn't really a sound reason.

From what I'm seeing now as details come out, Steam vs MS Store is really just a personal preference. There's not any significant impact to how the game runs. Perhaps with a Steam version, the launch and executable files will go in the same directory as other Steam games (though we won't know until release day on that).

I can say that since this is a Win32 application just being distributed from the store, it means that the MS Store version installs the core game files in the protected directory structure like other "Store Apps", but just like those, you can finagle the file permissions to get to them. But just like with Steam, they're periodically updated/verified, so there's no point to modifying them. All the files you'd want to modify, for personal settings, addons, etc, go outside the protected folder anyway. They're kept in your AppData file structure in your user profile, or wherever you tell the sim to store them. There shouldn't be any loss to configurability.

But this isn't a UWP "Store App" which means it shouldn't have any of the performance problems that some dual-platform XBox/Windows games have had when running as "UWP" Apps. (Modern Win32 applications don't really care where they run from; they use the modern extensions to the Win32 API that lets them run from protected directories. It's actually better when they do, since it keeps the core files that shouldn't be modified in an immutable state, but lets the modifiable files exist where users and software can fiddle with them.)

Here's an important tip -- the sim will cache some data, and that's one place where it can start consuming space... even before addons come into play. You can control how much it caches, and where it puts it. Pay attention during the install to help yourself get it set up right with where your data files and cache will go; there are also options to change them later. In my case, the core files run from my C: drive SSD, but everything else is put on another drive which has much more room. It runs just fine this way.

MSTS-Roundhouse

)

Can someone explain to a non-techy IT person please, this installation procedure. I have a 64 bit PC, I take it that if I install the game onto an SSD for example, the core game files will go onto this and anything else will go onto my C-Drive where my OS is and be placed in my Program Files area rather than my Program Files (x86) folder? If this simulator is built on core WIN10 why is it only a 32 bit, surely, the vast majority of us hardcore PC gamers and simulator fans have 64-bit nowadays, or, is that not the case for XBox-ers?

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 08-08-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

The system OS requirements for the new simulator are for a 64-bit Windows 10 operating system, running the November 2019 ("1836") update or higher.

I haven't paid much attention to the XBox requirements -- We know it will run on the upcoming XBox "Series X" that's coming out. Not sure about the XBox One, but they're all running 64-bit operating systems.

Basically it goes like this:

1. Install from the Microsoft Store (or Steam)
    2. Run the sim and it will download and install the rest of itself. Either take the default location for "the rest" or give it a different one if you don't have enough room or don't want it filling up your "C" drive.
    3. Wait for it to download and finish installing, then you can set it up and fly when it's finished.

The installer, like anything Windows-based, will try to drop everything on your "C" drive.

The core game files will install in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps in a sub-folder. They probably take up less room than Microsoft Office, so that's not a big deal. These are the files that you really don't want to mess with or let anything mess with, so it's fine for them to go there; they're designed that way.

Once the core game is installed, it will then "update" itself with all the rest that it needs to un -- aircraft, scenery, configurations, you name it -- the things that can change and get modified. And this is the "big" download.

Like a lot of other modern software, the default is to go into the hidden "AppData" folder inside your user profile folder. It will create a subfolder structure inside of "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local". Where, exactly, I can't say, because I can't be sure if it might change for the release. Sometimes \AppData\Roaming gets used by software, so that's a possibility. Both are equally valid, basically. Like any installer, you can change that location to somewhere on another drive if you want. At any rate, this second folder structure is where there will be directories for addons and changeable data.

I'm experimenting with some of that right now, and I'll have a go at it with the final release when it comes out -- I'll be able to say more specific then. Not just because the beta carries an NDA, but also because things can change at release. Getting specific now would be pointless and possibly misleading. (Remember -- there will be a Steam version; it might make some adjustments to the folder location based on the Steam Library structure, and that's OK.) It's still a Windows application; directory structures and drive locations can be changed around as long as the configuration can account for it -- whether you do that at install or through settings changes later.

MSTS-Roundhouse

)

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    Basically it goes like this:

1. Install from the Microsoft Store (or Steam)......
    1. Or DVDs.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0