Thread: Open Rails Braking Issue

Default Open Rails Braking Issue

I recently set up the Surfline Route v2.2 and 3DTrains Surfliner Trainset and everything seemed to be going well until I realized that with graduated braking on, my brakes take forever to release and the only way for me to make them release quicker is by turning off the option and using direct release (which obviously isn't prototypical).

If anyone knows a way that I can use graduated release and have my brakes release in a prototypical time, then I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to ORTS by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsffan453 View Post
    I recently set up the Surfline Route v2.2 and 3DTrains Surfliner Trainset and everything seemed to be going well until I realized that with graduated braking on, my brakes take forever to release and the only way for me to make them release quicker is by turning off the option and using direct release (which obviously isn't prototypical).

If anyone knows a way that I can use graduated release and have my brakes release in a prototypical time, then I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to ORTS by the way.
    It's always struck me that whoever designed the braking for Open Rails must have been a Run 8 fan ?! The ludicrously long brake release time MIGHT be prototypical for the usual "Class 1" 2-3 km long freight trains??? ......BUT any passenger train that took that long to stop and that long to release it's brakes would be completely useless. The ability to stop swiftly and predictably is also VERY difficult and that makes shunting (switching that side of the pond) almost impossible. Of course the vast majority of stock available is all still MSTS stock and therefore my comments will be immediately dismissed as NOT an Open Rails problem? My only comment to that would be that until some folk acknowledge the reality that no one has the time to tweak every .eng and every .wag file in their existing stock there is little choice but to ignore the "so called" prototypical?

As the exam papers used to say before they all became "multi choice".... "Discuss"

PS I would say that some of the US passenger train braking, even in MSTS, seems ludicrously inadequate to me. Stopping some models (and I'm talking payware here too!) precisely in a platform is pure luck rather than judgement.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Stopping some models (and I'm talking payware here too!) precisely in a platform is pure luck rather than judgement.
    You're spot on Geoff. I had to learn the finer points of "stretch braking" when working as a short line engineer years ago. We ran a tourist train with a stop that had a pallet or two for a platform. Slow down to a creep, set some air, bail off the engine brake, open the throttle a notch, anticipate when the conductor would radio you to stop, and be prepared to hear "A little more 85...a little more...that'll do!". I do that with Open Rails when I'm running a passenger train using older equipment before blended braking was all the rage. It still takes a touch. As for the agonizing long release with OR, I admit to cheating. Once I'm stopped I fully apply the engine brake then release the air (unless I'm on a 2% grade...thankfully none of my routes have station stops on heavy grades).

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

I was sort of able to fix it by increasing the brake pipe recharging rate to maximum (1000) but even then the independent brake is still lethargic when it comes to releasing.

This may help >>> Start with these, adjust for user preference ( prototypically normal, fast or slow )...read the attached brake pdf for OR
    Code:
    ORTSMainResChargingRate ( 0.4psi/s )
    	ORTSBrakePipeChargingRate ( 200psi/s )
    	ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38psi/s )
    	ORTSEngineBrakeApplicationRate ( 34psi/s )
    	ORTSBrakePipeTimeFactor ( 0.003 )
    	ORTSBrakeEmergencyTimeFactor ( 0.1 )
    	ORTSBrakeServiceTimeFactor ( 1.009 )
    	ORTSAirBrakeMainresvolume ( 28.35ft^3 )
    	TrainPipeLeakRate ( 0.0833psi/s )
    	TrainBrakesControllerMaxReleaseRate ( 10psi/s )
    ORBrakeParam.zip
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.