Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAR Gypsum Hopper Cars.

Default DAR Gypsum Hopper Cars.

The Devil is in the detail !

I start with that before anyone starts posting links to the dozens of existing hopper car models that are NOT like these.

These Hoppers https://princestreet.wordpress.com/category/dar/ (scroll down the page for a lot of detailed pictures) were used on the DAR and (I believe?) subsequently by Windsor & Hantsport Railway for their Gypsum Traffic.

I can't find any other reference for this type of Hopper Car and In view of the size of some of the Gypsum trains pictured on various sites I'm wondering if they were a custom build for this specific road and traffic?

Note there are outside vertical bracing posts and what looks like a lever system to multiple bottom shoots? Also the quite extensive exterior end platforms and complicated grab rails.

In fact the more I look at them the more complex they seem compared to most open hopper cars.

If anyone can point to an existing model that has any of these features, or has one as an ongoing project they have a ready made home in Paul's DAR.

Interested to know if anyone has further information on the builder or scale drawings?

I've posted here but if any modeller is reading this and fancies a new project....

Some more pictures here : http://www.rrpicturearchives.net./sr...&search=Search
    ....and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windso...tsport_Railway

It could be that these cars are comparatively new of course and way too new for the DAR's "era"?
    Last edited by lateagain; 07-15-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Addition.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

They have been in the library since 2009.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=23962

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    They have been in the library since 2009.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=23962

Paul
    Thanks Paul ....you might have expected a search with the word gypsum would have found those!
    Geoff
    UK

Cheers
    Derek

Actually Derek I tried again ....and you're right. Yep 10 files and they are there.

My "mistake" was searching under MSTS Hopper Cars which only brings up 1 file AND that is the pack of hoppers Paul includes in his download list for the DAR cndcpk06.zip.

I guess it has to do with how the files are "filed"??? As Paul designated these as Gondolas my search didn't find them.

...so when is a Hopper NOT a Hopper .......and when is a Hopper a Gondola?
    Geoff
    UK

The name of the zip file is right in the required rolling stock page, I'll bet they would have turned up if you searched using that.

The builder designated them as Gondolas, not me.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    The builder designated them as Gondolas, not me.
    Well you obviously went with what the builder called them Paul.... Not my understanding of the difference between a Hopper and a Gondola (which BTW is not MY opinion but a researched difference) is that if it unloads from the Bottom it's a Hopper, and if it unloads from the top (including by rotation of the car) it's a Gondola. So that anomaly obviously had me searching for a Hopper type.... AND even more ironically made me miss the fact that they're already in the DAR stock downloads..... as "gons".

More to the point you've made a bloody good job of modelling them.
    Geoff
    UK

There are hoppers, there are gondolas, but then there are drop-bottom gondolas. The difference between a hopper and a drop-bottom gondola is that a hopper does not have a flat floor. Instead, the lower reaches of the car is made up of tapered "hoppers" terminating at gates that are below the level of the frame of the car.

Prior to WW II, Hoppers were self-clearing, gondolas were not. Hoppers had the necessary sloped sheets so that when the hatches were opened, 99.99% of the material came out.
    Drop bottom gons could not have hatches over the trucks. Usually the material was loaded in them only over the hatches as best they could, and not end to end. Even then someone had to climb in with a shovel and a broom.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

10. Default

They are similar to ORTNER ones in library, but these have a different angled end on them. So as you said maybe specifically created for this road.
    Toronto Mainline Trains
    www.torontomainlinetrains.ca
    www.mapleleaftracks.com A Division Of Toronto Mainline Trains
    Subscribe Youtube
    Like Us On Facebook
    Follow Us On Twitter