Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gta v

Well the world of GTA V takes place in an area roughly 7 x 8 miles, if I read the scaling on the map in front of me quickly. I would imagine the whole thing is hand built down to the detail on the road surfaces, drains etc.

DTG have attempted to break into using a new graphics engine with their TSW and soon to be TSW2 games, but the shortcomings have been widely documented - poor performance, small worlds compared to the traditional MSTS/Trainz or DTG TS heritage 70 or 80 mile linear routes and no user editor capability.
    Vern.

GTAV (and their other games) uses their proprietary Rage game engine.

DTG decided to go with the widely-used and well-regarded Unreal Engine for TSW, not realizing quite how much they were biting off trying to make something complex like TSW in a game engine they weren't used to.

Thing is, in GTA, you can go pretty much anywhere you want, any direction, by land sea or air. TSW only has the model the immediate surroundings of the railway, and maybe DTG need to take into account that there's little point doing detailed modelling of every inch of trackside scenery when you are focused straight ahead on your driving and are unlikely to stop and get out of the train to go look. So long as there's landmarks in the appropriate places...

Our heroes over at SCS Software likewise build their truck simulator maps focusing on just the area immediately adjacent to the roads you can drive on (and what might be visible from them) and you can see their worldbuilding coming along in leaps and bounds if you compare the Idaho or Utah DLCs to what passed for California when the game first came out four and a half years ago.

The ironic thing is that all the effort that goes into precisely modelling the routes in TSW is for nothing when there's barely any rail traffic in their schedules to bring these routes to life. I'd rather Run8's less detailed graphics, that can show me hundreds of railcars moving in Barstow yard, than TSW's GWE where you might see two or three other trains driving from Paddington to Reading.

Good posts boys and one of the reasons why there is not one single train game on this pc.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Learned how to add extra cars (mods) and use them. I wish i had persisted a couple of years back, but everything seemed so complicated.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

You're living the LA Noire dream there!

I never took to that game Steve, read all the reviews and watched the game play videos. But was never tempted buddy.

I think the model is a GTA IV conversion.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

How i would love to see one of these in ATS.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I got this game when Epic handed it out for free, and one of the first things I did was learn how to add vehicles to it because I can't stand Rockstar's "mashups".

Now, I hadn't modded GTA since the SA days, (having skipped over IV) so I found it somewhat complicated at first.

Then I found it troublesome after I added about 115 vehicles because after that, my game would crash. I had also added real billboards and gas stations. Guess that was too much for my lowly laptop to handle LOL!

So - I started over and re-made the police department to resemble the LAPD, along with the police helicopter and uniforms.

Slowly adding a vehicle at a time as I find the real world counterpart to them. Disappointed that I can't replace R*'s Hipster with the Pacer because every Pacer mod I've tried has graphical issues with it.

Some mods are harder than others to install, i find. Grahics enhancements like NVE and RCA were pretty straight forward.

Adding custom colours to mod car addons was a nightmare.

I guessed most of it, but it must be working. As every spawned car is not now grey.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd