Thread: Possible Ship for DAR

Default Possible Ship for DAR

Possible ship for the Fundy Gypsum Wharf at Hantsport on the DAR route.

As it's always High Tide and the actual draft of this model may not be the same as the ships that used the Fundy loading jetty it does at least look a little like some of the pictures of ships seen in these waters?

I seem to remember a model a bit like the Edmund Fitzgerald someone made? Of course that was a Great lakes Vessel but there's pictures of Gypsum carriers around Nova Scotia with the same Fwd Superstructure that made the Great Lake's steamers so distinctive.

In the meantime these are reskins I did with Bazza's permission. I uploaded them to uktrainsim but if anyone is interested I'm happy to upload them here ?

Click to Enlarge:

Sip for Gypsum 1.jpg
    Sip for Gypsum 2.jpg
    Sip for Gypsum 3.jpg

Not quite right as the Gypsum ships had no masts and dereks?
    http://shipfax.blogspot.com/2015/02/...hantsport.html

....oh and of course the ship was loaded from the warehouse! Train alongside just for scale!
    Last edited by lateagain; 07-16-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Addition
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

a good idea

good to have ships.
    good to also have peripheral equipment
    remember that ships also transport locomotives and they must be unloaded.
    remember that there are already grain and mineral discharges

Chimbica Dash8

The Fundy tides in reality are so dramatic that Paul could have modeled them with an animation.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    The Fundy tides in reality are so dramatic that Paul could have modeled them with an animation.
    Christopher
    Yes Indeed I thought of Rich Garber's Ohio Rail MSTS Route when I was reminded of these ships. That had a Port with a ship that sailed along the estuary. Not sure if that was achieved as AI traffic on hidden rails or as a car spawner? Compared with newer Ship models these are relatively simple but there was enough detail to skin into some extra liveries. There are other bulk carrier models but they look way too big for Fundy to me?

I guess ALL the docks on Nova Scotia have changed since the 60's, just as they have World Wide with the rapid adoption of Standardised Shipping Containers?

Growing up in NE London with a grandfather who'd worked on the River (before I was born) I obviously got to know the River and London's Docks well but their demise was swift and dramatic as Tilbury and Harwich rose to become massive container ports. A trip from Westminster down River to Greenwich was a wonderland of excitement and activity when I was at school but now the life that it positively throbbed with back then is replaced by mile after mile of questionably attractive luxury apartment blocks. Those who never knew it when it was "alive" could never begin understand why folk of my generation find the trip so dull today. There are a couple of riverside Cranes preserved on that trip that you'd have to look hard to spot. In the 60's there were literally hundreds of these.
    Geoff
    UK

Actually I couldn't model them. In Hantsport they are 45 feet, un and down twice a day. In MSTS (and OR), you can animate them but as you train approaches, each water tile pops up one at a time and not as a big group, it's like watching dominoes fall.

A ship at Hantsport make little sense. You might catch a glimpse of it for a second or two from a southbound train when you round the curve at Mount Denson, and maybe another couple of seconds while you approach Hantsport but that would be about it. Because of the tide the two ships that went back and forth between North Carolina and Hantsport had to be in and out in 4 hours to have enough water to move before the tide went out. It was the fasted loading facility in the world for any bulk commodity. No other ship ever was in the Hantsport facility.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Actually I couldn't model them. In Hantsport they are 45 feet, un and down twice a day. In MSTS (and OR), you can animate them but as you train approaches, each water tile pops up one at a time and not as a big group, it's like watching dominoes fall.

A ship at Hantsport make little sense. You might catch a glimpse of it for a second or two from a southbound train when you round the curve at Mount Denson, and maybe another couple of seconds while you approach Hantsport but that would be about it. Because of the tide the two ships that went back and forth between North Carolina and Hantsport had to be in and out in 4 hours to have enough water to move before the tide went out. It was the fasted loading facility in the world for any bulk commodity. No other ship ever was in the Hantsport facility.

Paul
    A sim that could animate the tides! Now that WOULD be an extra level of realism!!!

Yes I only got into looking at the Shipping because I was interested in the Gypsum Traffic. Having been a keen sailor in my youth I was surprised to see how "inland" the Fundy loading facility was. A quick look at Google Earth/Maps shows the fairly narrow dredged channel and it seemed a weird choice for a bulk loading facility? Still as your model looks just like the real deal I got to looking at the ships and read that they were custom built (?) with this very facility in mind? Funnily enough we have a facility here in Poole Harbour that's served by 2 or 3 small bulk carriers carrying aggregates. Nothing on the Scale of the Fundy Warehouse, all crane loaded and unloaded. The tides are not so pressing here so they don't have the Fundy Vessels "deadline turnaround" time.

Of course the other "reality" is that tides happen 24/7 365 days a year and I for one find driving at night about as interesting as watching paint dry. Even if there WAS much night traffic on the DAR?

Of course with that huge facility I guess that trains unloading when a ship was loading too (train unloaded INTO warehouse, Ship loaded FROM warehouse) was probably a rare occurrence?
    Geoff
    UK

The return time to and from North Carolina is six days, so a ship would show up in Hantsport for four hours ever three days (so limited chance of seeing a ship that would take 40 hours to draw). Daily, the DAR took 63 or 64 100 ton gondolas to the dumper and the gypsum was stored in the big covered warehouse so there was a full shipload when the ship did show up. The gypsum trains were a day job but winter in Nova Scotia meant getting dark around 1630, so it's probably that the last train of the day might get back to Windsor after dark. It is possible that a gypsum train would be in Hantsport the once every third day that the ship was loading. The DAR didn't take the cars to the dumper, only into the yard, Fundy Gypsum had a GE 45 Tonner there to take six cars at a time to the dumper.

Paul