Thread: ORTS Sky Environment // Sunrise, Sunset

Post ORTS Sky Environment // Sunrise, Sunset

All,

I figure this is the best place to ask this question, and probably more of a development side of things, but is there any way for a user to modify the sky environment? Particularly referring to the times within the simulation the sun rises and sets.

I've noticed on most summer routes the sun will set between 6:45pm and 7:30pm at the absolute latest, this seems more accurate for either mid-spring or early fall at either end of daylight savings. From my experience living the US, the sunset during the summertime is always after 8pm, sometimes well after 8:30pm closer to the summer solstice depending on your location.

As info, I'm currently running ORTS 1.3.1.4328.

Obviously not a game-impacting issue. But in my opinion any enhancement to boost realism is a good one for me! Hope to hear back from someone who may know more. Thanks in advance.

EK

The first step is to replace the skydome.

Some really lovely ones were released a few years back but then had to be withdrawn because of copy-write issues.

OR computes sunrise and sunset time basing on season, latitude and longitude (it of course can't consider deviations of time of day due to special time zones). So I assume such times are quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by csantucci View Post
    OR computes sunrise and sunset time basing on season, latitude and longitude (it of course can't consider deviations of time of day due to special time zones). So I assume such times are quite reasonable.
    Assuming that Carlo's reply above means that Daylight Savings Time is not considered by OR, then one needs to add an hour to the Sim time when the route is in a local that implements Daylight Savings Time. Thus the Sunset is occurring at 8:30 dst not 7:30 cst. Then there are the extremes of the Central Time Zone: sunset tonight here in Huntsville, AL, will occur at 7:56pm and in Amarillo, TX, at 8:59pm
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Assuming that Carlo's reply above means that Daylight Savings Time is not considered by OR, then one needs to add an hour to the Sim time when the route is in a local that implements Daylight Savings Time.
    Charles and Carlo,

I never really thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. Thank you both!

EK

I would love to see a Daylight savings time option. Artificially adjusting the time throws off timetables. Not all states have DST. Click the option and the display goes back and hour while the simulation time remains standard. Then, there has been talk of going to year round DST like we did in the energy crisis days of the 70s. Wishful thinking.

Basil