Thread: Another fail with Win 10

Default Another fail with Win 10

Just discovered Open Rail and, since it looks like it works best alongside of MSTS, I am trying to install my old disk version 1 of MSTS on my Win 10 64bit system. And of course, there are problems!

I looked here at all of the posts I could find about the problems, so I started just trying to install it straight up, albeit into a folder in the root of the C drive instead of the program files (x86). First disk installed OK, but the second one went into slow motion and, although it was actually progressing at about the rate of 1 file copied each 30-60 seconds, at that rate we would be well into the post COVID era before I got anything finished. Then I tried the routine of copying the contents of the disks over to a temp file on my C drive, and attempting to do the install from there. Again, all well until the point where the program would have asked for disk 2, and then it shut down saying that it could not "verify media". Tried again with the disk 2 out of the CDRom drive, same message. And it quits cold, shutting down after clearing out all vestiges of the installation.

Tried rebooting and doing it again, same results. Looks like insanity is lurking nearby!

Any other ideas? If I just go back to a CDRom install will it ever finish? Why is the CDRom so slow on disk 2? It even sounds different, chugging along like an old train instead of the smoother typical chirping of a normal CDRom being read.

And perhaps most important, is it really necessary to have MSTS somewhere on the drive to run OR? OR says no, but I installed OR AND the free BNSF scenic route and yet nothing at all shows up in OR when I try to run it. No routes, no evidence of anything having been installed other than the opening screen (cryptic and non intuitive as it is!) coming on.

I can always go back to enjoying the eye candy of TSW (!) or the realism of Run 8, but I am hoping to get to use that huge Pennsylvania Railroad route that I liked back in the Win 7 MSTS days....

Ideas, anyone?
    Last edited by avallillo; 07-20-2020 at 01:45 PM.

On the OR opening screen is an "Options" button, bottom center.
    In the options screen go to the Content tab.
    Tell it where you put your stuff.

Randy

Installing ANY trainsim content in program files is not advised due to security that the newer OS's (since Vista) place on the program files folder. This is a cottage industry and products developed for it are not that sophisticated to deal with complex Win x security.

As for not seeing the free scenic route, if you installed it according to the splash banner instructions, you should have a Trainsimulations folder that contains the subfolders for the route itself essential track and road files. As the instructions say you CANNOT add this route to any existing cluster of routes designed for MSTS. If you had already installed Open Rails, then as Randy says you need to go to the Options, Content page and make Open Rails aware of where you put the Trainsimulations folder. Once you do that, make sure the Trainsimulations installation is in the top pull down menu. Once you select your installation, you should find the Scenic sub.

Quote Originally Posted by avallillo View Post
    Just discovered Open Rail and, since it looks like it works best alongside of MSTS, I am trying to install my old disk version 1 of MSTS on my Win 10 64bit system. ...And perhaps most important, is it really necessary to have MSTS somewhere on the drive to run OR? ...
    OR and MSTS are two entirely different programs ( Open Rails being coded to be backward compatible with MSTS legacy routes and trainsets). OR definitely does not need MSTS installed on your system to operate. IF you already have routes and equipment installed you can point OR to those following the instructions given in post#2.

If you attempt to install older MSTS routes that require content from the original MSTS default routes ( many did -- through the use of bat files to install from the default routes ) you will need the default routes installed somewhere. The only other MSTS requirement is for the MSTS "US2" default trainset that many activities use...of course the sensible thing to do is substitute more modern models for these.

Newer routes made for Open Rails >>> see Train Simulations Mullan Pass, CN Ruel Sub and others --- do not require any default MSTS routes or equipment to be present. Try downloading their OR "Starter Route" for a good introduction to OR.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I finally got MSTS to install in Win10 by simply waiting the process out. Turns out that the disk 2 installation only ran an hour or so, and not the several years that it was looking like it would!

I also installed the MSTS update, but I also have, in my old folder of used zips, two patches to MSTS. Did these become part of the update, or should I install them too? My disk set is original, from when MSTS first came out.

How do I tell OR where MSTS is, considering that I installed OR first? What I really want to do as far as MSTS is concerned would be to gin up the old Port Ogden and Northern route, and Seaview in OR! Can't help it - that darn Seaview is one comical and fascinating route!

PS - I did get the PRR Eastern v2 up and running, since it contains within it all consists and equipment to run it.

>How do I tell OR where MSTS is,

Refer to post #2
    Cheers
    Derek

I installed it (the Starter Route or Scenic Route) iaw what I took to be the instructions. I named its folder TS_Starter Route. I went to options and set that folder up (C:\TS_Starter Route) in Open Rails, and it shows up in the drop down. However, when selected from the opening screen of OR, there is only that route - nothing below it; no activities, consists, locomotives, starting points, no nothing. The other routes I have (PRR East v2 and the Zig Zag route plus all the basics from MSTS) all have the full monte, with activities, consists and the like. Just nothing on the Starter Route (Scenic Route).

I will try to reinstall the route today, and see if I missed anything. The route itself appears to be the Stevens Pass route through the Cascade Tunnel, which I recall was available soon after MSTS first came out - it was the first add-on route I got, although I had a freeware version and this one appears to be from an early payware offering.

Success! Somehow the renaming of the folder got it messed up. Now all run fine and I am a happy camper! Now if only the visual realism of TSW could be incorporated into the operational realism of Run 8 or Open Rails.........Flightsim 202 for trains!

Thank you to all for the help.

One more question - does multiplayer work somewhat like Pilot Edge does over on flight sim? That is, are there dispatchers who can assign and control the movement of trains according to prototype practice? Is there a VATSIM for trains?