Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What kind of Video card

I would think any fairly new Nvidia card would do a reasonable job with MSTS and OR.
    Stay away from the 50 series cards, 950/1050, they are run of the mill average use cards.
    Go with a 60 or 70 series. A GTX 770 will run circles around a 1050 and they aren't that expensive.
    About $100. Get one with 4GB ram.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    I would think any fairly new Nvidia card would do a reasonable job with MSTS and OR.
    Stay away from the 50 series cards, 950/1050, they are run of the mill average use cards.
    Go with a 60 or 70 series. A GTX 770 will run circles around a 1050 and they aren't that expensive.
    About $100. Get one with 4GB ram.

Randy
    This I agree with 100% as I said I have a 1030 and it is now having issues working with my paint program and it has some lag issues on some routes. If you are going to invest in a card go with the 1050 or the 1060 super as I was told. Also, remember that the only i5 and i3 are now 2.63 something in Ghz and the i5 unlocked can get 3 GHz So an i7 or i9 should be looked at. DDR3 has been replaced with DDR4 and SSD is more common now than HDD.

How do I know this? this is what I am going thru to get a decent computer to replace the one I have now. And it's going to cost well over 768.65 GBP or 1000 American dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Papichulo2006 View Post
    Hey guys i have a question what kind of graphics card do you use for msts from my computer? If you have any ideas what video card i need for microsoft train simulator for windows 10.
    MSTS is a 20-year old game made for DirectX 7. You'd be hard pressed to find ANY video card these days that don't work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainFreak View Post
    MSTS is a 20-year old game made for DirectX 7. You'd be hard pressed to find ANY video card these days that don't work with it.
    Well, as long as it's Nvidia. As mentioned earlier, AMD removed compatibility for older DirectX. (Which has irritated not only MSTS fans, but other retrogaming enthusiasts in general.)

The only concern with Nvidia cards is staying within reasonable performance characteristics for wherever hardware and version of Windows you choose to run. You don't need the newest thing, just something with reasonable performance in case you choose to run Open Rails and/or any other more modern software.

Among the more recent Nvidia cards, the 1060 series has probably been one of the most versatile. Unless you're trying to push the latest AAA game titles in 3440 or 4K, it's still a very solid performer. Overkill for MSTS. More than enough for OR.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )