Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Video card

Default What kind of Video card

Hey guys i have a question what kind of graphics card do you use for msts from my computer? If you have any ideas what video card i need for microsoft train simulator for windows 10.

I currently use a Geforce 750 Ti, which is more than adequate for MSTS/Open Rails. Not so good for other new games, though. I seem to remember that MSTS specifically ran better with a faster processor speed, rather than a nicer video card. I think the base clock speed on my Intel i2500K processor is about 3.6Ghz.

This was a fine middle of the line computer build for 2012. It's woefully inadequate for 2020 gaming. However, MSTS is older and doesn't use computer resources like newer games do, so I'm guessing having the latest 2080 video card probably won't make it run much better than what I already have. I don't run anything in MSTS anymore, anyway. Open Rails is much better all around.

I'm sure others know more about this sort of thing, and this topic might be best moved to the PC Tech forum here.

Tyler

Any Nvidia card that works under Windows 10 will work.

There can be other challenges to getting MSTS to run on modern computers, but having an Nvidia card is a good start.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

I know But MSTS Is better on my opinion and i found out it works on windows 10 but thanks

Any idea why the AMD cards are not working?
    I have a Radeon RX 550.
    I found an NVIDIA card equivalent (4GB) to replace it with but wanted to make sure this will fix my problem (MSI GeForce GT 730 Fermi DDR3 4GB DirectX 12 (N730-4GD3V2))

AMD drivers don't support MSTS; they should work with Open Rails.

nVidia works with both.

GTX 730 still is (barely) in mainstream driver support. Would work fine for MSTS. Would be marginal for Open Rails.

What's good for Open Rails is squishy, since it depends not only on the video card but on the rest of the system too. In my case, I have a 750ti in an old Core2 Extreme system (15 years old) - 4 real cores in the CPU, 3ghz, PCIe1.1 - using a solid-state disk for the C: drive where the sim and data are installed. A year or two ago, that easily broke 100 fps on most routes with Open Rails. Not any more, though it can still do 60 most of the time. I lay that on Open Rails having added features and doing a better job of simming, which requires more cycles from the CPU and GPU. And the CPU is probably not really up to that any more. The point is: it's not just the GPU - a decent one is necessary but not sufficient.

Using version X1.3.1-201-gbj7d2e6f4, the Render process usually runs 70-90% according to the debug F5 display. at idle (cab view, but not moving) according to Win10 Task Manager, the GPU is running at 72% of the 3D unit, 0% of others, and <0.5 GB of video RAM (out of 2GB) in use. The question I can't answer right now (some Open Rails experts might want to chime in) is whether I'm overloading the GPU or the CPU communicating with it (the PCIe1.1 bus probably doesn't help any).

I have a Radeon HD7770 video card with AMD video drivers which does work with MSTS. Maybe the latest AMD video cards (drivers) are incompatible with MSTS for whatever reason(s)?

AMD withdrew support for DX7 ( which is required for MSTS ) some time ago.
    There are posts here about it at the time.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hmm, there's a certain Section on The Forums here, MSTS or Open Rails Section(?) tells you how to get MSTS to run on W10 Computer Systems. I've forgot what I downloaded that might've helped, but doing a "Run As Admin" by right clicking on Combatabilty ( bad speller I know ) Mode as well by telling it @ least run as W7 SP3, & changing its color pixel/Screen Res. Count(?)

AMD withdrew support for DX7 ( which is required for MSTS ) some time ago.
    It's this kind of stunt that makes me stop using specific companies' products. (No Apple in my house, for example).

I use an Nvidia GFORCE 1060.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts