Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The benefits of Mini-Routes

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Default The benefits of Mini-Routes

Hi

What are the benefits of running Mini-Routes given that I only run OR.

I am trying to consolidate space on my PC and want to reduce the duplication that comes with Mini-Routes.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Regards

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

I still use "mini routes", Profiles in OR, to group routes and stock from different countries or regions. If you only run routes and stock from a single country or region then a mini route in OR does not have much benefit. There is however one situation where a miniroute/profile should be used. That is to keep the more recent offerings from TrainSimulations apart from all others because they use DDS for track textures instead of ace. I know there has been a code workaround to deal with it, but better safe than sorry.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Northern Virginia, United States of America

Some routes like the Monson Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Eastern Region have to be off in their own separate miniroute because of changes to or custom Global files the route uses. I'm also seeing a trend towards miniroutes as new functional turntables are made but not added to the global Tsection. Personally, I have my collection split into a few different profiles based mostly on era, with a couple based on country. I started organizing this way when my collection grew to the point that the OR menu was taking a long time to load.

So long as a route isn't in a miniroute because of custom Global files, I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be consolidated into one big main collection. The only reason I do miniroutes or separate collections it is to speed load times in the OR menu itself.

not added to the global Tsection

If anyone here is doing this, I would like to know.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by fleegle411 View Post
    Some routes like the Monson Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Eastern Region have to be off in their own separate miniroute because of changes to or custom Global files the route uses.
    I, run both of those without being miniroutes and they run fine in ORTS.. What, problems are there to speak of?

There were no changes to the \Global files on the PRR-East v2 but perhaps fleegle411's confusion because the route was distributed setup as an easy to install MINI package?
    As to the Monson Railroad I have no knowledge.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

What are the benefits of running Mini-Routes given that I only run OR.

I am trying to consolidate space on my PC and want to reduce the duplication that comes with Mini-Routes.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Regards

Daniel
    A bit of Lateral thinking Daniel.... Storage is "cheap as chips" nowadays and smaller SSD's or external SSD's have dropped in price because now larger capacity SSD's have become "the norm" the market is pretty much flooded with bargain smaller ones. Of course the ability to attach them to your existing rig might present problems (already used up slots or ports?) but frankly why not "splash the cash" because reorganising your entire Trainsim set up just isn't worth the grief?

Whilst OR seems to "ignore" errors that kill MSTS stone dead I still like using Mini Routes because you can create custom stock packs, including any personal tweaks or mods, without having to worry that they can cause conflicts. Also if you still use the MSTS tools (and I do because if a tool works why not use it?) then the MSTS errors need sorting. With RR and Conbuilder that's pretty easy if your stock is in a Mini Route.

Of course the OR only merchants will scoff at this but hey.... OR STILL doesn't have everything sorted (and BTW if you don't agree it's because your interests in rail are less diverse than some of us) and so I run both MSTS and OR.

Either way Mini Routes still keep all manner of era, stock, scenery etc.etc. items in easier to navigate packages?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    A bit of Lateral thinking Daniel.... Storage is "cheap as chips" nowadays a................
    Cow chips or Buffalo chips? Have not noticed prices lately, but Buffalo chips are not a numerous as they used to be. Used to be be so numerous that my ancestors use them as heating and cooking fuel. ;-)
    Charles

Another reason to use mini-routes is to organize rolling stock with specific routes so it doesn't clutter everything up and you don't have to look through an endless haystack to find the one unit you want.

Obviously that is more valuable in some circumstances than others.

If you want mini-routes but want to save disc space, it is time to look into symbolic links. After you install a little program you can make links with the right click menu from a single source to another spot as if the file was there too... but it isn't (thus taking no space) even though everything functions as if it is.

I have mini-routes largely because I organized it that way when running MSTS and haven't changed. But I've got a single GLOBAL folder referenced by most routes and a single SOUND folder and a single COMMON.SND and COMMON.CAB that is referred to be each TRAINSET folder.

Christopher

I have mini routes for foreign routes, mostly MRS Logistica from Brazil, and narrow gauge
    routes. Then I have mini routes for some routes that have unique global files, or that
    require separate setups for various reasons. However, the majority of my routes are
    US content and could stay in my main install, but just to keep the numbers down I move
    finished ones to miniroutes. I have noticed that once you get 20 or so routes in one
    install, using MSRE can be shaky and slow, but TSRE does not seem to be affected.