Thread: OR Installation Help Needed

Default OR Installation Help Needed

Hi All,

I have a couple of friends about a thousand miles away who are trying to install Open Rails and the DARv3 and are having problems. I walked them through installing OR in Programs (x86), and creating the Train Simulator folder in (x86), inside adding Global, Route, sounds, xTracks, and Trains folders (with Consist and Trainset folders inside that).

They have put the DARv2 inside the Routes folder, downloaded the rolling stock and put them in the Trainset folder, taken the consists I provided with the route and put them in the Consist folder. I have supplied them with a Sound folder from my OR installation that came from my MSTS, and my Global folder.

Sarah sent a text file showing the tree for her installation and everything looks fine, no different then what I have on this Windows 10 laptop.

The problem is that when either of the two select the route, select an activity they both get the same error message saying that OR can not find the locomotive. If they go into Explore mode the dropbox shows the locomotives but they are all shown as <missing> even though Sarah has sent a text file showing all the rolling stock is installed correctly.

I'm puzzled, I have to have missed a step telling the two of them where something goes or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul :-)

Hi Paul,

To save future problems, you should be installing OUTSIDE program files, they are operating system protected areas.

The OR log will give more detail of the problem.
    Cheers
    Derek

Here's the log she sent the other night. Aside from saying it can't open the RDC file it says not that helps me to figure out why.

You say to put what, Open Rails outside of Programs and I've always been told to put it inside Programs (x86), that;s where it's been on Windows 7 and now 10 and have worked for me with no problems. Has something changed and if so, where exactly should they be (I say they because I assume the program and the Train Simulator folder should be in the same location).

OpenRailsLog.txt

You can put OpenRails anywhere but it's best to keep our train stuff out of Windows protected folders.
    I keep all of my MSTS/OR stuff on drives that are not C:/.
    If all you have is a C drive then place them in the root of the drive. IE, C:/Trains, C:/ORMG66 &c.
    The only things I install in the programs folders are the modern programs designed specifically to work with Win10 like Paint Dot Net, Sketchup, Blender.
    All of the legacy stuff, RouteRiter, ConBuilder, MSTS goes in it's own folder away from the OS.

Hope this helps,
    Randy

Dear Mr. Charland,

Hope you understand me because English is not my native language.

Downloaded your route and rolling stock yesterday, installed but not tested yet.

Over your rolling stock, when you "Unzip" them a folder and a sub folder are created, please, ask your friend Sarah if she put in the "Trains/Trainset" folder the content of the sub folder.

If she uses the first folder after unzipping, OR will "Say" that something is missing.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    You can put OpenRails anywhere but it's best to keep our train stuff out of Windows protected folders.
    I keep all of my MSTS/OR stuff on drives that are not C:/.
    If all you have is a C drive then place them in the root of the drive. IE, C:/Trains, C:/ORMG66 &c.
    The only things I install in the programs folders are the modern programs designed specifically to work with Win10 like Paint Dot Net, Sketchup, Blender.
    All of the legacy stuff, RouteRiter, ConBuilder, MSTS goes in it's own folder away from the OS.

Hope this helps,
    Randy
    Agree with all above...OR is designed to tolerate installation in the "protected program folders" -- however -- just for consistency OR and ALL ROUTES; TRAINS; GLOBAL; and SOUND folders used for OR are in either C:\2TS or F:\2TSF [SSD drive used to actually run the sim] --- all utility programs used for simming are installed in C:\TS_Utility --- no problems whatsoever. Plus everything is backed up on a schedule to two other drives.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks,

We went through this early on as that is a common problem. She did go through her rolling stock and found a few that were still like that and corrected them, but aparently the real problem is that I instructed her to install things the way I have them installed and have worked for years for me, but are not working for her. So today is moving day!

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Thanks,

We went through this early on as that is a common problem. She did go through her rolling stock and found a few that were still like that and corrected them, but aparently the real problem is that I instructed her to install things the way I have them installed and have worked for years for me, but are not working for her. So today is moving day!

Paul,

You don't need to uninstall anything just move it where you want.
    RouteRiter will still need the registry entries so just leave the MSTS install where it is but move the Route, Global, Sound and Trains folders where you want them, C:/1MSTS, D:/Trainsim, doesn't matter.
    Makes moving day much easier.

Randy

Oh, MSTS will be unusable.

It is possible that is you move folders out of the program folder they will continue to hold the problematic windows permissions they had when created in PROGRAMS. Ask me how I know! if she is at the beginning of setting things up, it might be simpler to start over to avoid further problems. Alternately you can do into the folder properties and make sure the permissions are not to restrictive (and that is simplifying a more advanced process that is more than I can coherently describe how to do)
    Christopher