Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .Tga to .Ace Can't find any convertor that works

Try Googling your error message as "texture width must be a power of 2".

Regards,
    Chris

Pascal, have you installed MakeAce or Ace it in the PROGRAMS folder? That might be causing some kind of permissions error? (For the purposes of open rails, things seem to work better in a folder outside of PROGRAMS, especially content but also some utilities).

Is it having trouble finding FFED?

I remember that I had to struggle a bit when I reinstalled everything on my latest windows 10 machine. But I don't remember how I resolved things (sorry). searching around these forums might help because this has all come up in the past (the search engine here isn't very good so you might need to persist).

I use three programs for this sort of thing, depending on the circumstances: route riter; AceIt Conversion Utility and shape File Manager. Most often I use AceIt because it has a super handy right click menu item under "open with" that just converts a .tga file without even having to open the file (and it compresses it when shape file manager doesn't.)

Christopher

There should not be any problems with AceIt -- it's a stand-alone program, Version 1.3.4 can be downloaded from the venerable site
    https://www.railserve.com/Computers/MSTS/Utilities/

and from my version 1.3.1:
    Requirements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
    DirectX 8.1 (or higher)
    a graphics card capable of 32-bit texture modes in Direct3D
    10 MB of free space (for installation + temp files - more may be required if you work with images greater than 1024x1024)

AceIt uses Direct3D to manipulate textures. This requires that the graphics card support 32-bit modes. Unfortunately, this means that AceIt will not work in systems with 3dfx cards, among others, as they only support 16-bit modes.
    Just keep it outside of the windows protected program folders.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hello Christopher, i have all the MSTS stuff, including Open Rails, makeAce and AceIt in a separate folder. The permission should not be needed, because, I moved it. I had to move it previously, because TSRE5 could not work without permission. Also, makeAce is in the UTILS folder. It doesn't say anywhere it can't find FFED. Also, when I start up AceIt, I directly get a message saying unable to create Direct3d Device.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    There should not be any problems with AceIt -- it's a stand-alone program
    So, I do have a 32-bit graphics card, but the error message "unable to create Direct3d Device" still displays, even after reinstalling.

The 64/32 bit refers to windows software not hardware.
    So the bitness of the graphics card is not the issue.

It is more likely a DX problem. Download dx 9.0c from here:-
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=34429

Ignore the hardware device!!
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    The 64/32 bit refers to windows software not hardware.
    So the bitness of the graphics card is not the issue.

It is more likely a DX problem.
    i downloaded it, and well: "You have to run Windows 98, Windows Millenium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, to install DirectX 9.0"

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Good View Post
    Hello Christopher, i have all the MSTS stuff, including Open Rails, makeAce and AceIt in a separate folder. The permission should not be needed, because, I moved it. I had to move it previously, because TSRE5 could not work without permission. Also, makeAce is in the UTILS folder. It doesn't say anywhere it can't find FFED. Also, when I start up AceIt, I directly get a message saying unable to create Direct3d Device.
    If it was moved from Program Files vice installed to new location, it could still have the same file/folder attributes as it had in Program Files.
    Charles