Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Western Pacific color.

Default Western Pacific color.

I was wonder if anyone know s the actual base color for the Western Pacific boxcars and what was the yellow color used?
    I am trying to make

wp_37007_041908_DSC_9558.jpg

Marc's 3DTrains.com site has a RGB list of many railroad colors. From home page, select support > help guides, then color reference guides.

Quote Originally Posted by ckawahara View Post
    Marc's 3DTrains.com site has a RGB list of many railroad colors. From home page, select support > help guides, then color reference guides.
    Whilst Marc's colour chart is what the paint shops would have used the climate and road dirt would have desaturated and faded most of these colours within weeks. If you want "toy trains" (and most producers of real models get these horribly wrong) go for the chart. For a more realistic effect look at the photos on many online libraries. BUT be aware that when you go back to the days when Western Pacific was still running the colour reproduction of the film stock of the day AND it's subsequent fading means that a large % of colour shots need correcting themselves.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I tried Mark page and it doesn't have WP brown and apparently the WP used 2 types of brown. The company used a Very Dark brown and what looks like a regular box car brown. Yet I also find images that the WP had some red boxcars that seemed to match the color on some cabooses. This is why I am asking I have very very little knowledge about the railroads in the Western US.

In the western United States it doesn't take long for dark brown to fade. Plus with all of the dirt and the smoke and weather thrown in you could pick almost any brown and it would be correct, at some time.
    Who will know?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    In the western United States it doesn't take long for dark brown to fade. Plus with all of the dirt and the smoke and weather thrown in you could pick almost any brown and it would be correct, at some time.
    Who will know?

Randy
    I think Randy has hit the nail on the head here.

If you want to be really technical the light we see things by has a "colour temperature" this is affected by the time of day, amount of cloud cover, mists or fog etc.etc. Even modern digital cameras with good automatic white balance (which adjusts for colour temperature by setting as good a white for the prevailing light) will still render any colour as it will appear in light of that colour temperature. So the question becomes rather like "How long is a piece of string" LOL!

However you can check old photos in Photoshop/PSP by looking at areas within the shot of neutral colour. If there's a colour cast it will show up best in these areas. Also look at dark shadow areas. If the picture has faded (and BTW many colour films of the 50's and 60's had rather distinct colour casts to start with) or is a Kodachrome that rendered high contrast and oversaturated images you can use the photosoftware to "correct" these effects.

Don't ever take a picture as a solid reference without considering these factors. Another consideration is that by their very nature railways force photographers to capture an image from one direction. Often the subject is lit from behind so they capture the object in shadow.

The library is full of weird and wonderful coloured stock and often (if it's photoskinned) you can find the original shot and see that it's been copied as posted "warts and all". I used to teach colour printing back in the day of "wet photography" and the sheer joy of being able to correct shots in seconds when each guessed at correction took 10-15 minutes to process and review has been a massive step forward.

PS

I assume you've looked at http://www.rrpicturearchives.net./rs...?road=WP&cid=2 ? The first page of box cars (make sure you select "show all thumbnails" shows a number of pictures that are pretty correct colour balance but taken in bright sunlight and snow. A great illustration of how the prevailing light affects our perception of the same colour?
    Last edited by lateagain; 08-01-2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Addition.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I never use the Color chart "as is"... but it is a good starting point. from there you can desaturate and lighten to get what you need.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    I never use the Color chart "as is"... but it is a good starting point. from there you can desaturate and lighten to get what you need.
    I did find 2 WP cars I can actually make now, But the issue is I do not know what the font they used to make the HUGE WP that went on the side.

Well, If you want one, I can make it.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    Well, If you want one, I can make it.
    That would be great as I only have the 3 original logos for the WP and nothing else. I don't know why Rail fonts skipped over the huge WP it seemed to be on almost all the boxcars except a few I found. I still can't even figure out the odd red they used on the cars.

Sadly some of the cars I wanted to make are not possible due to the train simulation car not being correct for the car I wanted to model. Some of the plug doors have 4 sets of door rods and rollers to open the doors and the SLI car only has 2. I hope Train Simulations will include some other variation of plug doors cars in future releases.