Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uploaded Awaiting approval

Default Uploaded Awaiting approval

6 50 foot tanker cars based on Robert Murphy's excellent model.
    Inspired by Paul's DARv3 route, the IRVING brand is not known this side of the pond. I did some research and found very few Irving Logo'd tanks that had actually been photographed had made it online. Using detail from those pictures and better Non Branded NCTX tanks on http://www.rrpicturearchives.net./ I decided to have a crack at creating a reasonable consist.

Click to Enlarge

NCTX & Irving Tankers.jpg
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

For those outside New England and Atlantic Canada ...
    Irving is a oil company headquartered in Saint John, New Brunswick (a province which near as I can tell is their wholly owned subsidiary). They've expanded into New England. Their gas stations are always cleaner and cheaper than the competition. They own a a fleet of oil tankers that delivers from their Saint John refinery. Their "sibling" company, J.D. Irving (owned by a different member of the same family) owns the well regarded Maine & New Brunswick Railroad.

These tank cars would have been used in Eastern Canada,loaded in Saint John or at regional port terminals. Vintage late sixties/seventies.

Christopher

I lived in Nova Scotia for most of the 1970s, never seen a single Irving tankcar until I moved to Ontario and in the spring of 1981 saw my first and only Irving tankcar heading for Sarnia.

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    I lived in Nova Scotia for most of the 1970s, never seen a single Irving tankcar until I moved to Ontario and in the spring of 1981 saw my first and only Irving tankcar heading for Sarnia.
    Well I skinned a few cars... you'd better get working on the links from Truro Sub to Ontario then Paul?! Nobody else is going to do it to your standard!!! LOL!

BTW my research did throw up some earlier tanks too.

Whilst I've got your attention, and more importantly your knowledge.....

What did Cyanamid transport on the DAR?

My guess would be fertiliser?

However I also found some pictures of much earlier tank cars carrying the Cyanamid brand. Do you know what they carried, and did they operate in NS?
    Geoff
    UK

Cyanimid in Aldershot (actually Steam Mills, Aldershot is a Militia training base) received bulk feeds and fertilizer. The smaller facility in Wilmot was just bulk feed. The facility in Steam Mills also had a building that received the rare boxcar, probably bags I would think. I had access to a year's worth of consists for everything from the west that was interchanged to the DAR in Truro and the part of the plant that received the boxcars might have received four or five during 1974.

I've not seen a Cyanimid tankcar, but they were a big company, so it may have been a liquid fertilizer. Where were the pictures taken and when?

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Cyanimid in Aldershot (actually Steam Mills, Aldershot is a Militia training base) received bulk feeds and fertilizer. The smaller facility in Wilmot was just bulk feed. The facility in Steam Mills also had a building that received the rare boxcar, probably bags I would think. I had access to a year's worth of consists for everything from the west that was interchanged to the DAR in Truro and the part of the plant that received the boxcars might have received four or five during 1974.

I've not seen a Cyanimid tankcar, but they were a big company, so it may have been a liquid fertilizer. Where were the pictures taken and when?

These tank cars are obviously much older. Also found this tiny picture which despite my best efforts with Photoshop isn't very clear. The consist seems to be hoppers although the more distant cars look like "airslide" hoppers. The only 50' (or "Double" Airslides )I can find had a single roof walk and double row of hatches. In view of the traffic you've detailed it seems that these may have never have been on the DAR? There seems to be a hopper unloading point at Aldershot though?

Thumbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff
    UK

BTW the reference for the NCTX cars is here.

https://blog.traingeek.ca/2012/05/ir...tank-cars.html

and here

http://themightydieselwhine.blogspot...tank-cars.html

Obviously some of the Logo'd cars were shorter but the "New" tankers featured with the Logo are definitely NCTX.

Numbers on mine are fictitious but the variety of font's etc. is taken from reference here.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net./rs...ad=NCTX&cid=12

I've done some reskins of single Airflow Hoppers with the old Cyanamid logo but I can't find any better reference than the shot in the previous post. Anyone with any links or pics? they'd be much appreciated
    Geoff
    UK

There might not have been any Irving tankcars on the DAR in the 70s but the cars would be at home in New Brunswick and west of there. As far as the Cyanimid tank cars, the picture was all taken post 2000 and most in the States, so maybe that's where the business was and when it was.

Irving Oil maintains a sizable presence in Maine, along with tank farm(s) in the same state. I've not been following this thread, thus, may be lost in reply. Many of the photos above those tanks, if modeling todays ops wouldn't be found in regular service, due to the fact being older types, fitted with journal boxes. For a time, we used to move both Irving, &, McIntyre tanks intertwined. Sandri Oil (Sunoco) products was another mix in there. Many GATX (other reporting-marks within the family) carried for all 3 Co.s, along with others, as GATX maintains a larger fleet, &, costs much cheaper when all said & done.

before I forget, may be of interest of the tanks types we moved for the 3 Co.s along with others. The tanks went like this:
    13,000 to 19,000 Gallon = molten sulfur, clay slurry, caustic soda, &, corn syrup.
    20,000 to 25,000 Gallon = fertilizers, chemicals, fuel oils, asphalt, &, food-grade oils.
    25,000 Gallon+ =
    food-grade oils, ethanol, petroleum products, &, various chemicals.
    For a time also, if leaving standing cars (Haz-Mat classed) unattended, we couldn't do so within many townships,
    would be forced to haul out into the countryside til many businesses could fit next order.