Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Route In Progress - Kansas City, Ozarks, and Southern Railway

Well, decided to learn the ropes of TrainSim Modeler and it seemed pretty easy to get a hang of so I decided to create my first custom scenery object: the old Frisco Mansfield Depot that existed up until the mid-1920's. Some fine tuning with the textures is needed but all in all I don't think it looks too bad for a first try.

Open Rails 2020-08-10 08-00-09.jpg
    Open Rails 2020-08-10 08-00-31.jpg
    Open Rails 2020-08-10 08-00-48.jpg

First phase scenery is probably pretty close to being done around Mansfield (maybe 75% or so), I plan on working all the way to Ava then fine-tuning the route afterwards. Enjoy!

Frisco Mountain with Passenger Train
    Open Rails 2020-08-12 11-01-03.jpg

KCO&S #4 awaiting orders outside the depot
    Open Rails 2020-08-12 11-01-40.jpg

Looking south over town
    Open Rails 2020-08-12 11-02-13.jpg

Looking south from a farmhouse towards the KCO&S mainline
    Open Rails 2020-08-12 11-03-11.jpg

Looking north
    Open Rails 2020-08-12 11-03-36.jpg

P.S. thanks to any of you who are keeping up with my introduction to the world of OpenRails modeling

8/18 Update: Route is roughly 90% scenerized along the KCO&S mainline. Still getting use to custom building objects, so luckily I have access to the wealth of good scenery items on this site and ElvasTower. However, I have built the Mansfield depots, Ava Depot, and Reed-Harlin Wholesale in Ava using TSModeler.

Alwanda, on the Bryant Creek
    alwanda.jpg

Mt. Zion
    mtzion.jpg

Ava
    ava.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm trying to test packaging the route with RouteRiter but I keep running into a problem. When I try to compact the route, it's trying to delete all but 39 shape and ace files, none of which I'm even using, and all the custom objects. So I'm stuck with a bunch of files that aren't even being used just taking up space. Can anyone help out?

Also updates on ElvasTower have been posted that haven't been posted here: http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...arks-southern/

This is a clip from the RR Help section on Preparing a route for Distribution
    3. Compact Route
    Clicking this button causes the program to search through the World files and various .dat files to ascertain which Shape and Texture files are in use within the route. This operation will take a few minutes, depending on your PC and the size of your route.
    The program then reads the .W files (compressed files are uncompressed in memory) and sees which .S files are required by the route. If necessary the .S files are uncompressed and copied to the Temporary folder.
    The program then goes through all the .s files which have been temporarily copied to the SetupFiles folder in this applications path. This will produce a list of all .ACE/.SMS/.WAV files actually used by your route.
    The program then deletes or moves all Shape/Texture/Sound/Terrain Texture files in your Route's Shapes/Textures/Sounds/Terrtex folders which are not in use (this includes all .s, .sd and .thm files connected with each shape).
    Once all these files have been deleted, the temporary uncompressed .S files are deleted from the SetupFiles folder and a .ref file is copied to your Route folder which only contains details of those files actually in use by the route.
    At this point, a Report Screen as under appears showing you which files are used in the Route.
    From this screen you can print and/or save the listing.
    You should close the report screen once you have finished with it as it is used later for another process.
    Note: Under WindowsXP, this report screen may open as an icon on the bottom toolbar of your screen, you will need to click on this icon to read the report.
    At this time, you may give the route a test run (You must close Route-Riter before starting MSTS, otherwise MSTS will not run). I have tested this program on several routes and savings of over 200 megs have been attained. However this is a very destructive program, so I take no responsibility for any problems which occur.
    Note: If you select MOVE rather than Delete when running the Compact operation, the moved files will be in a new folder in the route's folder named RRBackups, this should of course be removed before uploading a route for distribution.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thank you Vince, I'll see if I can figure it out, however I am now getting a new error message after having to use my latest backup from yesterday. I have no idea what the problem would be if it was working fine before.
    error.jpg

EDIT: I have it narrowed down to either a certain path or certain activity. I'll try rewriting both and see if that fixes it.
    Last edited by CSXCorp; 09-02-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Honestly, I stopped doing the "compact route" function ten years ago. When MSTS came out ~20 years ago a lot of us were on dial-up with limited disk space, and the size of a route made a difference.

Today, with broadband and terrabyte drives, removing a couple of unused shapes just isn't all that important...

That makes sense for sure. My only problem is I downloaded a wealth of custom objects to make it look as good as possible but I didn't use a lot of them. I don't think there's any reason this should be a 600 MB download for a 15 mile route, I guess I could manually go through and get rid of enough of the ones I know I didn't use. This is definitely my learning curve route!

Turns out that error was just a sound file and is now fixed! All that's left is the final testing of activities and packaging then it's ready to go! Should have it released to the TrainSim Library by Wednesday evening.
    kcosload.jpg