Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route In Progress - Kansas City, Ozarks, and Southern Railway

Default Route In Progress - Kansas City, Ozarks, and Southern Railway

Hi folks, Cade here!
    I am pleased to announce I have finally found the time and motivation to begin working on a OpenRails route, my first one to be exact, the Kansas City, Ozarks, and Southern Railway (KCO&S). As a resident of Douglas County, Missouri, this abandoned line has always interested me because it was the only rail line we ever had in the county. I began working on it at the very end of July and as of tonight, I have all track work completed, along with roads and large portions of forests. This is my first ever route project and I am still learning the TSRE5 editor and this will also be my first time building custom objects and locomotives, so suggestions and advice is welcome! Thank you!

Historical Background:
    The KCO&S was a 15 mile short line linking Ava, Missouri with Mansfield and the United States rail network. Ava is a rural town situated in the rugged Ozark Plateau that up until the early 20th century was relatively disconnected from the outside world as no major trails or railroads ran through the hamlet. However, Douglas County was locally known for its railroad tie and tomato industries whose products were in desperate need of modern transport to other markets. The call would be answered by J. B. Quigley who opened the railroad in 1910. The KCO&S connected with the Frisco Railroad at Mansfield and gave Ava its link to the US rail system. Quigley was tight on cash so was forced to follow the lay of the land and was limited on the amount of cutting, bridge building and embankments he could use which led to some pretty intense grades and tight curves. The railroad operated a Heisler locomotive and rented steam engines from the Frisco. The KCO&S profits peaked in the early 1920's before entering bankruptcy and being abandoned in 1935.

The Route:
    This route covers the complete line from Ava to Mansfield, along with about 3 miles of Frisco mainline around Mansfield. KCO&S has depots/whistle stops at (south to north) Ava, Mt. Zion, Alwanda (Bryant Creek), Flat Rock, and Mansfield. Douglas County, even today, is very rural and most of the KCO&S runs through open ground around towns and farms and thick woodland everywhere else. Industries in Ava include several canning companies, a Standard Oil Depot, and the tie yard. Lumber yards are located at Alwanda on the Bryant Creek and in Mansfield, which is also the location of the Frisco Interchange.

Ava looking from Spurlock Hill (which peaks at a 5% grade)
    Open Rails 2020-08-02 08-53-25.jpg

Ava road/track layout
    Open Rails 2020-08-02 08-54-37.jpg

Mt Zion
    Open Rails 2020-08-02 08-50-19.jpg

East Mansfield, looking West
    Open Rails 2020-08-02 08-58-47.jpg

Attached Thumbnail: Mansfield, looking south at the winding KCO&S mainline
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome!I live in West Plains,Mo looking forward to it!
    Frisco Forever!!

Very nice!

Was the 5% grade on the prototype, or are you having to "imagineer" the track, account of lack of data, and that's just how it worked out?

Smart of you to start with something this manageable. Too many people start with hundreds of miles of track and have little else to show for it a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Very nice!

Was the 5% grade on the prototype, or are you having to "imagineer" the track, account of lack of data, and that's just how it worked out?
    It's sort of "imagineered" using what information I could find. Spurlock Hill was supposedly the steepest grade of the line, steep enough that local kids would soap up the tracks and caused the local engineers some pain There's really no track charts or grade data other than the map of the right-of-way and to get up the hill required a steep incline. Most of my information is gathered from this local Facebook group "Ozark Southern Railroad."
    Also I love your St.L&NA route! I've studied parts of it to get an idea of what the Ozarks would've looked like a few decades later. Douglas County was extremely rural so most of it wouldn't look terribly different from the first decade of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Smart of you to start with something this manageable. Too many people start with hundreds of miles of track and have little else to show for it a year later.
    Start small and work my way to the big leagues after getting the ropes down, I look at learning to route build the same way as how I learned guitar I thought a 15-mile rural route would be a perfect place to start where I wouldn't get burned out while learning the basics. After getting some experience under my belt I do have a dream route plan of modeling the majority of the Frisco's Southwest Missouri line (my favorite railroad next to the SAL and ACL) as it would've appeared around 1950.

I've started adding buildings and scenery in Mansfield and will work south from there.

Looking east toward the square
    Open Rails 2020-08-05 07-27-00.jpg

The KCO&S Turntable next to the Mansfield Lumber Company
    Open Rails 2020-08-05 07-28-16.jpg

Next I'll be adding the farms and lineside items. Then I'll be making the two depots in town. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    True that.

I never could discipline myself to do that, though. I always end up laying track for a monstrosity that I'll never finish. I have several such monstrosities on my hard drive. Want one?

Oh well, V scale is only a sporadic hobby for me now.

Well, Coonskin, be careful with that two-wheeler you mention from time to time. Sporadic or not, it would
    be nice to have you around a lot longer. I'm working up the Corbin-Knoxville line, initially of the L&N and
    later a version 2 will include the SR in the area. I was able to obtain track charts for all of it. As a short
    break, I'm fixing up part of the old Kingsport route, which will be updated to use M-tracks & X-tracks,
    NewRoads etc., stuff that either we did not have, or that I was not using yet, in 2004.

From Sept. 22 through Oct. 18, I'll be out in Antonito, CO doing my docent thing on the C&TS, or in
    Chama if the governor of NM allows folks to visit without quarantine by then. Right now it does not
    look promising.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Well, Coonskin, be careful with that two-wheeler you mention from time to time. Sporadic or not, it would
    be nice to have you around a lot longer. I'm working up the Corbin-Knoxville line, initially of the L&N and
    later a version 2 will include the SR in the area. I was able to obtain track charts for all of it. As a short
    break, I'm fixing up part of the old Kingsport route, which will be updated to use M-tracks & X-tracks,
    NewRoads etc., stuff that either we did not have, or that I was not using yet, in 2004.

From Sept. 22 through Oct. 18, I'll be out in Antonito, CO doing my docent thing on the C&TS, or in
    Chama if the governor of NM allows folks to visit without quarantine by then. Right now it does not
    look promising.

J. H. Sullivan
    I'm looking forward to your L&N/SR route as the L&N is one of my favorite railroads. I'm thinking my next route will be the L&N line across North Florida from Pensacola to Chattahoochee.