Thread: SLI Shape Files

Default SLI Shape Files

Hello People,

I apologize for bumping such an old topic and I hope you all understand why.
    SLI makes really good objects that we want to use in our routes, but we can't share them if we do.
    All people can do is look at our work and eventually, they give up on it all together as they know they can't use our route.

Does SLI Have a policy regarding use of their custom ground textures and terrain objects in your own custom routes and if so what does it say regarding use of said textures and objects.

If so, I apologize for asking.
    Otherwise, can we all petition SLI to change this?
    We already had this fiasco regarding the Olympic Torch Relay SD70Ms.

Why is it a fiasco because an author wants to keep their work proprietary? That's why there is such a thing as copyrite protection. Leave this subject alone, if you would. It's their call and right. Isn't it enough that they allow you to reskin their rolling stock? The last time I looked, their was no shortage of scenery items in the file library.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

The 'fiasco" regarding to the Olympic units is that its specially licensed between UP and the USOC and like Frank stated, its protected in copyright laws... So, there is NO petition allowed here to payware vendors... so don't get any bright ideas here...Leave it alone...
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    Why is it a fiasco because an author wants to keep their work proprietary? That's why there is such a thing as copyrite protection. Leave this subject alone, if you would. It's their call and right. Isn't it enough that they allow you to reskin their rolling stock? The last time I looked, their was no shortage of scenery items in the file library.
    Rodrigovalle wanted to share his route with the community but he couldn't. He REALLY WANTED to share his route with the msts community but he said he couldn't. Just ask him and he can confirm that he did NOT want it to be private.

>SLI makes really good objects that we want to use in our routes, but we can't share them if we do

They OWN the object, they can keep it private.
    You are using the term "we", keep it to "I" as you don't represent anyone else.

>Otherwise, can we all petition SLI to change this?

Do the work yourself.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Do the work yourself.
    I'm with Derek...I'm always amazed that people who don't take the time and effort to create something of value, expect others who make a living doing so to share their product gratis. If you want to put your money where your mouth is ... learn how to create the objects -- spend the considerable time and effort doing so and then release them as "Public Domain".

TrainSimulations [SLI] is to be commended for their more than generous repaint/reskin policy.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Amen to that, be thankful SLI allows us to do repaints. They have no obligation to in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by USASpiritlineTrains View Post
    Rodrigovalle wanted to share his route with the community but he couldn't. He REALLY WANTED to share his route with the msts community but he said he couldn't. Just ask him and he can confirm that he did NOT want it to be private.
    It matters not what Rodrigovalle wanted, or what you wanted. The lesson here is simple and has been discussed about a bazillion times in the last 15 years...if you use payware shapes/objects on your route, you cannot release it publicly. As Dave and I both suggested, leave it alone!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!