Thread: Trainsimulations' SD70ACe model questions

Default Trainsimulations' SD70ACe model questions

Hi, guys!

Trainsimulations currently offers several sets that contain SD70ACe locomotive models. There are two NS SD70ACe Heritage sets, one NS SD70ACe Steel Slab Trainset and there is also the Mullan Pass route that contains several SD70ACe locomotives.

My question is are all these locomotives basically the same model, or are there any differences between them in terms of quality/details? I know that the Mullan Pass has been their most recent release, so I presume the ACe's there might be of the highest quality. Or am I wrong on that one and they are indeed all the same basic model?

I have some repaint projects on my mind and I would like to use the best SD70ACe model for that, so I would like to know what I should buy.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

They all are roughly the same 'class' at 50-60k polys. Throw in the UP Heritage sets and CN SD70M-2s as well.

Older models with round wheels that hang in the 15-22k poly class are the UP Green River units, the EMDX leaser pack, and the NS ones from the Horseshoe set. There are visible differences in proportions, the latter models being more correct.

The flintstone wheel freebies top off at around 10-12k polys.

I just noticed that the m-2 has the same AC cabinet on the left hand side as the ace.
    Does anyone know what the m-2 has in there?
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    They all are roughly the same 'class' at 50-60k polys. Throw in the UP Heritage sets and CN SD70M-2s as well.
    Does that mean that these sets have the same paint scheme file structure? If I purchase one of the Heritage sets, for example, and make a new skin based on those models, then people would be able to use that repaint on one of the ACe's from another of these high-quality sets?
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

The only thing I can attest to is I did try to mate the UP 8363's high headlight version of the shape with BNSF textures to see if it was possible to get a high headlight BNSF 9330-9399 series out of it and it seemed to fit well. The BNSF's from Seligman have roof domes, the BNSF's from Mullan have roof domes and ptc 'fins', the UP's have the square ptc cluster, the CNs have extra dpu lighting, and the NS ones have some roof conduit of sorts so all of them have differences and are unique.

I guess the rest is up to only the repainter to determine whether mix and match works to fit their needs; others can't determine that for him